Ring Topology may be a network configuration where device connections create a circular data path. In this each device is connected to with its exactly two neighboring devices, like points on a circle which forms like a ring structure. A number of repeaters are used for Ring topology with a large number of nodes to send data and to prevent data loss repeaters are used in this network. Together, devices during a ring topology are mentioned as a hoop network.
In this packets travels from from one device to another until they reach the desired destination. In this data travels in unidirectional forms means in only one direction but it can also do bidirectional by having 2 connections between each Network Node, it is called Dual Ring Topology.
It is used in LANs and WANs depending on the card of network in the computer.
Advantages of Ring topology :
- In this data flows in one direction which reduces the chance of packet collisions.
- In this topology additional workstations can be added after without impacting performance of the network.
- Equal access to the resources.
- There is no need of server to control the connectivity among the nodes in the topology.
- It is cheap to install and expand.
- Minimum collision.
- Speed to transfer the data is very high in this type of topology.
- Due to the presence of token passing the performance of ring topology becomes better than bus topology under heavy traffic.
- Easy to manage.
- Ring network is extremely orderly organized where every device has access to the token and therefore the opportunity to transmit.
Disadvantages of Ring topology :
- Due to the Uni-directional Ring, a data packet (token) must have to pass through all the nodes.
- If one workstation shuts down, it affects whole network or if a node goes down entire network goes down.
- It is slower in performance as compared to the bus topology
- It is Expensive.
- Addition and removal of any node during a network is difficult and may cause issue in network activity.
- Difficult to troubleshoot the ring.
- In order for all the computer to communicate with each other, all computer must be turned on.
- Total dependence in on one cable.
- They were not Scalable.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.