Advantages and Disadvantages of PHP
PHP language :
The name PHP stands for Hypertext Preprocessor and denotes a server-side scripting language, which suggests that applications are written thereon run on web servers and don’t depend upon the online browser. Syntax of PHP language is analogous to C language. It is created by Rasmus Lerdorf and appeared in 1995. PHP is being widely utilized in developing web applications and became one of the main languages for developers to make new applications.
Leading social networking sites like Facebook and reputed organizations like Harvard University are both using PHP which makes PHP popular and increases its credibility.
However, over years, its area of use has shifted, and nowadays PHP coding language is ranked among the simplest and hottest programming tools for web development thanks to its many virtues which can be the main target of this text. It’s considered a really effective technology that gives a convenient development process with many additional tools to assist it. In fact, consistent with recognition of programming language Index (PYPL), PHP is the fifth hottest coding language in the world.
PHP is getting used widely in developing web-based and other applications across all domains. Few technologies whose development is supported by PHP are listed below :
- Content Management System.
- Web-based applications and development of sites.
- E-commerce websites and applications.
- Data Analytics and Representation.
- Processing of Images.
- Graphical interface design-based applications.
- Developing the features of Flash.
Advantages of PHP :
- The most important advantage of PHP is that it’s open-source and free from cost. It can be downloaded anywhere and is readily available to use for events or web applications.
- It is platform-independent. PHP-based applications can run on any OS like UNIX, Linux, Windows, etc.
- Applications can easily be loaded which are based on PHP and connected to the database. It’s mainly used due to its faster rate of loading over slow internet speed than other programming language.
- It has less learning curve because it is simple and straightforward to use. Someone familiar with C programming can easily work on PHP.
- It is more stable for a few years with the assistance of providing continuous support to various versions.
- It helps in reusing an equivalent code and not got have to write lengthy code and sophisticated structure for events of web applications.
- It helps in managing code easily.
- It has powerful library support to use various function modules for data representation.
- PHP’s built-in database connection modules help in connecting databases easily reducing trouble and time for the development of web applications and content-based sites.
- The popularity of PHP gave rise to various communities of developers, a fraction of which may be potential candidates for hire.
- Flexibility makes PHP ready to effectively combine with many other programming languages in order that the software package could use foremost effective technology for every particular feature.
Disadvantages of PHP :
- It is not that secure due to its open-source, because the ASCII text file is often easily available.
- It is not suitable for giant content-based web applications.
- It has a weak type, which can cause incorrect data and knowledge to users.
- PHP frameworks got to learn to use PHP built-in functionalities to avoid writing additional code.
- Using more features of PHP framework and tools cause poor performance of online applications.
- PHP doesn’t allow change or modification in the core behavior of online applications.
- The PHP frameworks aren’t equivalent in behavior so does their performance and features.
- While PHP may be a powerful tool supported by an outsized community and plentiful reference documentation, there are easier programming languages for web apps.
- It is widely believed by the developers that PHP features a poor quality of handling errors. PHP lacks debugging tools, which are needed to look for errors and warnings. PHP has less number of debugging tools in comparison to other programming languages.
- It’s highly tough to manage because it’s not competent modular. It already imitates the features of the Java language.
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!