WWW Full Form
WWW is an abbreviation for World Wide Web and it is commonly called the WEB. It is a system that is used to store documents and is accessed using URL(Uniform Resource Locator) which are accessible through Internet. These documents are transferred using HTTP requests and can be viewed using software called WEB browser.
English engineer and computer scientist Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee founded the World Wide Web in 1989. He wrote first web browser in 1990 while being employed at CERN near Geneva, Switzerland. The browser was excluded from CERN in 1991, first in other research centers since January 1991 and then in general public in August 1991.
Features of WWW :
- It is a cross-platform system that is compatible with various devices.
- It is a system that stores hypertext (Hypertext is text which contains “links” to other texts) information.
- It is a distributed system spread among various websites.
- It is open source.
Difference between WWW and Internet :
Internet is a collection of interconnected devices whereas WWW is a system that is used to store hypertext.
Using Internet we can access these documents. WWW is a collection of servers that store hypertext.
Basic client-server model is used to access a web page. Server store webpages and client request that web page by providing Uniform Resource Locator (URL). As soon as we enter URL in search bar WWW comes in to play and locate web page.
Facts about WWW –
- World’s first website is still online: http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html
- First image uploaded for testing WWW:
Figure – First image uploaded on Internet
- Before named as “Web” Berners-Lee thought of names “Information Mesh”, “The Information Mine”, and “Mine of Information”.
- The system on which program code was written was NeXt which was developed by Steve Jobs.
- The WWW was made available to everyone for free in 1993.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.