VPN stands for Virtual Private Network.
It basically encrypts the connection and makes the user’s IP address hidden by using various tunneling protocols. It is used to bypass geo-blocks and for security purposes. It is secure and private means for file sharing, communication and remotely accessing data without any risk of a hack.
VPN tunneling ensures encryption at the user’s end and decryption at the receiver’s end, for this to happen the device should be connected to a VPN client software application.VPN acts as an intermediator between user and connection to the internet. It hides user IP address and makes a connection from VPN’s private network rather than the user’s ISP(Internet Service Provider).
History of VPN
In 1996 a Microsoft’s employee started working on Peer to Peer Tunnelling Protocol(PPTP) from where the idea of VPN originated. In 1999 the first VPN was published.
Characteristics of VPN
- It maintains confidentiality of user’s data.
- It maintains the integrity of the user’s data that is the data cannot be changed in between the transmission.
- It ensures non-repudation that is a sender cannot deny that he/she had not sended the data.
- Data authentication is also ensured by VPN, it verifies the source and destination’s authencity.
Advantages of VPN
- A VPN is very helpful in hiding the user’s identity as it hides the IP address and make connection through VPN’s private network.
- It improves the security as VPN protects user’s data from hackers and surveillance.
- It allows remote access to the information which will increase the productivity of organisation as large data can be accessed remotely.
- The cost of VPN service packages are less in comparison the kind of features they provide.
Disadvantages of VPN
- The time taken to fetch the data sometimes increases when fetched through VPN, so there might be a performance issue with respect to time.
- VPN allows you to hide your identity but sometimes your VPN provider company itself steals your data, which can cause security issues.
- Whenever VPN disconnection occurs there is a possibility of IP address get revealed to the network from which connection was made.
- It is always not possible to bypass restrictions applied by a website by using a VPN.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.