Given an unsigned integer, swap all odd bits with even bits. For example, if the given number is 23 (00010111), it should be converted to 43 (00101011). Every even position bit is swapped with adjacent bit on right side (even position bits are highlighted in binary representation of 23), and every odd position bit is swapped with adjacent on left side.
If we take a closer look at the example, we can observe that we basically need to right shift (>>) all even bits (In the above example, even bits of 23 are highlighted) by 1 so that they become odd bits (highlighted in 43), and left shift (<<) all odd bits by 1 so that they become even bits. The following solution is based on this observation. The solution assumes that input number is stored using 32 bits.
Let the input number be x
1) Get all even bits of x by doing bitwise and of x with 0xAAAAAAAA. The number 0xAAAAAAAA is a 32 bit number with all even bits set as 1 and all odd bits as 0.
2) Get all odd bits of x by doing bitwise and of x with 0x55555555. The number 0x55555555 is a 32 bit number with all odd bits set as 1 and all even bits as 0.
3) Right shift all even bits.
4) Left shift all odd bits.
5) Combine new even and odd bits and return.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- How to swap two numbers without using a temporary variable?
- Write an Efficient C Program to Reverse Bits of a Number
- Count set bits in an integer
- Count number of bits to be flipped to convert A to B
- Rotate bits of a number
- Next higher number with same number of set bits
- Program to count number of set bits in an (big) array
- Count total set bits in all numbers from 1 to n
- Swap bits in a given number
- Swap two nibbles in a byte
- Toggle all the bits of a number except k-th bit.
- Copy set bits in a range
- Print first n numbers with exactly two set bits
- Swap three variables without using temporary variable
- Check if bits of a number has count of consecutive set bits in increasing order
Improved By : jit_t