Select is the most commonly used statement in SQL. The SELECT Statement in SQL is used to retrieve or fetch data from a database. We can fetch either the entire table or according to some specified rules. The data returned is stored in a result table. This result table is also called result-set.
With the SELECT clause of a SELECT command statement, we specify the columns that we want to be displayed in the query result and, optionally, which column headings we prefer to see above the result table.
The select clause is the first clause and is one of the last clauses of the select statement that the database server evaluates. The reason for this is that before we can determine what to include in the final result set, we need to know all of the possible columns that could be included in the final result set.
SELECT column1,column2 FROM table_name column1 , column2: names of the fields of the table table_name: from where we want to fetch
This query will return all the rows in the table with fields column1 , column2.
- To fetch the entire table or all the fields in the table:
SELECT * FROM table_name;
- Query to fetch the fields ROLL_NO, NAME, AGE from the table Student:
SELECT ROLL_NO, NAME, AGE FROM Student;
ROLL_NO NAME Age 1 Ram 18 2 RAMESH 18 3 SUJIT 20 4 SURESH 18
- To fetch all the fields from the table Student:
SELECT * FROM Student;
ROLL_NO NAME ADDRESS PHONE Age 1 Ram Delhi XXXXXXXXXX 18 2 RAMESH GURGAON XXXXXXXXXX 18 3 SUJIT ROHTAK XXXXXXXXXX 20 4 SURESH Delhi XXXXXXXXXX 18
This article is contributed by Harsh Agarwal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- PHP | MySQL Select Query
- SQL | SELECT TOP Clause
- SQL | Query Processing
- Query Optimization
- PHP | MySQL UPDATE Query
- PHP | MySQL Delete Query
- What are the Best Ways to Write a SQL Query?
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- SQL query to find second highest salary?
- Query to find 2nd largest value in a column in Table
- DBMS | Join operation Vs nested query
- Performing Database Operations in Java | SQL CREATE, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE and SELECT
- Data Mining | Set 2
- Different types of MySQL Triggers (with examples)