As we know, it is a bit difficult to shut down the computer all the time when we are on important work. It is necessary the save the work all the time if we prefer shutting down the computer. In such situations sleep mode and hibernate places a key role to return to the work which was not saved.
- RAM status: When the computer is turned into sleep mode, it saves the current context in the RAM and it makes sure that the RAM is on. So it consumes less power to keep the RAM powered on. It takes less time (two seconds) to on the system by simply pressing power button and we return to the unsaved work.
- Time Duration: Sleep mode is useful if you want to stop working for a short period of time.
- RAM status: Hibernate is similar to shutting down the computer. It saves the context in the hard drive and as soon as the computer is on, it loads the data from hard drive to the RAM and so it takes more time than sleep but less than the time taken to on the computer when it was shutdown. It do not consume any power because there is no need to power on the RAM.
- Time duration: Prefer using this mode if you won’t be using your system for an extended period of time. The settings can be changed in the system, such that the system turns into Hibernate mode or sleep mode when the power button is pressed.
Go to Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change what the power button do -> and change when I press the power button and when I close the lid to hibernate or sleep according to your wish.
How to Wake Your Computer from Sleep or Hibernation
Computers can mostly be be woken up by pressing the power button, press a key on the keyboard, click a mouse button, or lift the laptop’s lid.
This article is contributed by Brahmani Sai. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) in Computer Network
- Finding Mean, Median, Mode in Python without libraries
- sleep command in Linux with Examples
- What happens when we turn on computer?
- Computer Graphics | Antialiasing
- Types of MANET in Computer Network
- Puzzle | Eliminating Virus from a Computer Network
- Controlled Access Protocols in Computer Network
- Multiplexing (Channel Sharing) in Computer Network
- Computer scientist vs Programmer vs Developer vs Hackers
- Computer Network | Quality of Service and Multimedia
- Evolution of Foldable Smartphones
- How to wait for a promise to finish before returning the variable of a function?
- How to see the extensions loaded by PHP ?