Given an N-ary tree, find and return the node with second largest value in the given tree. Return NULL if no node with required value is present.
For example, in the given tree
Second largest node is 20.
A simple solution is to traverse the array twice. In the first traversal find the maximum value node. In the second traversal find the greatest element node less than the element obtained in first traversal. The time complexity of this solution is O(n).
An Efficient Solution can be to find the second largest element in a single traversal.
Below is the complete algorithm for doing this:
1) Initialize two nodes first and second to NULL as, first = second = NULL 2) Start traversing the tree, a) If the current node data say root->key is greater than first->key then update first and second as, second = first first = root b) If the current node data is in between first and second, then update second to store the value of current node as second = root 3) Return the node stored in second.
Second largest element is : 6
This article is contributed by Chhavi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- K'th Largest Element in BST when modification to BST is not allowed
- Largest BST in a Binary Tree | Set 2
- Largest sub-tree having equal no of 1's and 0's
- Find largest subtree sum in a tree
- Largest value in each level of Binary Tree
- Find the largest BST subtree in a given Binary Tree | Set 1
- Find the largest Complete Subtree in a given Binary Tree
- Largest value in each level of Binary Tree | Set-2 (Iterative Approach)
- Find the largest Perfect Subtree in a given Binary Tree
- Next Larger element in n-ary tree
- Immediate Smaller element in an N-ary Tree
- Find the closest element in Binary Search Tree
- Sum and Product of maximum and minimum element in Binary Tree
- Sum and Product of minimum and maximum element of Binary Search Tree
- Find maximum and minimum element in binary tree without using recursion or stack or queue
Improved By : mukul_vashishtha