A function is said to be reentrant if there is a provision to interrupt the function in the course of execution, service the interrupt service routine and then resume the earlier going on function, without hampering its earlier course of action. Reentrant functions are used in applications like hardware interrupt handling, recursion, etc.
The function has to satisfy certain conditions to be called as reentrant:
1. It may not use global and static data. Though there are no restrictions, but it is generally not advised. because the interrupt may change certain global values and resuming the course of action of the reentrant function with the new data may give undesired results.
2. It should not modify it’s own code. This is important because the course of action of the function should remain the same throughout the code. But, this may be allowed in case the interrupt routine uses a local copy of the reentrant function every time it uses different values or before and after the interrupt.
3. Should not call another non-reentrant function.
Thread safety and Reentrant functions
Reentrancy is distinct from, but closely related to, thread-safety. A function can be thread-safe and still not reentrant. For example, a function could be wrapped all around with a mutex (which avoids problems in multithreading environments), but if that function is used in an interrupt service routine, it could starve waiting for the first execution to release the mutex. The key for avoiding confusion is that reentrant refers to only one thread executing. It is a concept from the time when no multitasking operating systems existed. (Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reentrancy_(computing))
Example of Non-Reentrant Functions:
Example of Reentrant Functions:
In the below code, fun2 is a reentrant function. If an interrupt that pauses its execution and shifts the control to fun1. After fun1 completes, the control is again transferred to fun2 and it reenters the execution phase.
Article compiled by Venki. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- PHP | gmp_setbit() Function
- How to Call a C function in Python
- C function to Swap strings
- Data Visualization Using Chartjs and Django
- Rabin Cryptosystem with Implementation
- Introduction to Project Lombok in Java and How to get started?
- Simplified International Data Encryption Algorithm (IDEA)
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 6 (Graphical Method [2 X N] Game)
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 7 (Graphical Method [M X 2] Game)
- SFML Graphics Library | Quick Tutorial
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 4 (Dominance Property-Pure Strategy)
- Goldbach's Weak Conjecture for Odd numbers
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 5 (Dominance Property-Mixed Strategy)
- Reduce the number to minimum multiple of 4 after removing the digits
Improved By : VictorDev