We all know that Python is a very easy programming language but what makes it cool are the great number of open source library written for it. Requests is one of the most widely used library. It allows us to open any HTTP/HTTPS website and let us do any kind of stuff we normally do on web and can also save sessions i.e cookie.
As we all know that a webpage is just a piece of HTML code which is sent by the Web Server to our Browser, which in turn converts into the beautiful page. Now we need a mechanism to get hold of the HTML source code i.e finding some particular tags with a package called BeautifulSoup.
pip3 install requests
pip3 install beautifulsoup4
We take an example by reading a news site Hindustan Times
The code can be divided into three parts.
- Requesting a webpage
- Inspecting the tags
- Print the appropriate contents
- Requesting a webpage: First we see right click on the news text to see the source code
- Inspecting the tags: We need to figure in which body of the source code contains the news section we want to scrap. It is the under ul,i.e unordered list, “searchNews” which contains the news section.
Note The news text is present in the anchor tag text part. A close observation gives us the idea that all the news are in li, list, tags of the unordered tag.
- Print the appropriate contents: The content is printed with the help of code given below.
# the target we want to open
#open with GET method
#http_respone 200 means OK status
"Successfully opened the web page"
"The news are as follow :-\n"
# we need a parser,Python built-in HTML parser is enough .
# l is the list which contains all the text i.e news
#now we want to print only the text part of the anchor.
#find all the elements of a, i.e anchor
Successfully opened the web page The news are as follow :- Govt extends toll tax suspension, use of old notes for utility bills extended till Nov 14 Modi, Abe seal historic civil nuclear pact: What it means for India Rahul queues up at bank, says it is to show solidarity with common man IS kills over 60 in Mosul, victims dressed in orange and marked 'traitors' Rock On 2 review: Farhan Akhtar, Arjun Rampal's band hasn't lost its magic Rumours of shortage in salt supply spark panic among consumers in UP Worrying truth: India ranks first in pneumonia, diarrhoea deaths among kids To hell with romance, here's why being single is the coolest way to be India vs England: Cheteshwar Pujara, Murali Vijay make merry with tons in Rajkot Akshay-Bhumi, SRK-Alia, Ajay-Parineeti: Age difference doesn't matter anymore Currency ban: Only one-third have bank access; NE, backward regions worst hit Nepal's central bank halts transactions with Rs 500, Rs 1000 Indian notes Political upheaval in Punjab after SC tells it to share Sutlej water Let's not kid ourselves, with Trump, what we have seen is what we will get Want to colour your hair? Try rose gold, the hottest hair trend this winter
This article is contributed by Shubham Choudhary. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Difference between Web Scraping and Web Crawling
- Implementing Web Scraping in Python with BeautifulSoup
- Introduction to Web Scraping
- 6 Misconceptions About Web Scraping
- What is Web Scraping and How to Use It?
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- How to get title of a webpage using Selenium in Python?
- How to Add Apple's new San Francisco font on a Webpage using CSS ?
- How to click a button on webpage using selenium ?
- Data Scraping for Android Apps using google-play-scraper in Node.js
- Projecting Content into Components with ng-content
- How To Add Google Translate Button On Your Webpage?
- How to Add Google Charts on a Webpage?
- Reader's View of a GeeksforGeeks webpage
- How to redirect to another webpage in HTML?
- How to connect multiple MySQL databases on a single webpage ?
- How to add a custom right-click menu to a webpage ?