Web scraping basically refers to fetching only some important piece of information from one or more websites. Every website has recognizable structure/pattern of HTML elements.
Steps to perform webscraping :
1. Send a link and get the response from the sent link
2. Then convert response object to a byte string.
3. Pass the byte string to ‘fromstring’ method in html class in lxml module.
4. Get to a particular element by xpath.
5. Use the content according to your need.
For accomplishing this task some third-party packages is needed to install. Use pip to install wheel(.whl) files.
pip install requests pip install lxml
xpath to the element is also needed from which data will be scrapped. An easy way to do this is –
1. Right-click the element in the page which has to be scrapped and go-to “Inspect”.
2. Right-click the element on source-code to the right.
3. Copy xpath.
Here is a simple implementation on “geeksforgeeks homepage“:
The above code scrapes the paragraph in first article from “geeksforgeeks homepage” homepage.
Here’s the sample output. The output may not be same for everyone as the article would have changed.
"Consider the following C/C++ programs and try to guess the output? Output of all of the above programs is unpredictable (or undefined). The compilers (implementing… Read More »"
Here’s another example for data scraped from Wiki-web-scraping.
Web scraping, web harvesting, or web data extraction is data scraping used for extracting data from websites. Web scraping software may access the World Wide Web directly using the Hypertext Transfer Protocol, or through a web browser. While web scraping can be done manually by a software user, the term typically refers to automate processes implemented using a bot or web crawler. It is a form of copying, in which specific data is gathered and copied from the web, typically into a central local database or spreadsheet, for later retrieval or analysis.
- Implementing Web Scraping in Python with Scrapy
- Implementing Web Scraping in Python with BeautifulSoup
- Python | Extract URL from HTML using lxml
- html5lib and lxml parsers in Python
- Python | Tools in the world of Web Scraping
- Newspaper: Article scraping & curation (Python)
- Scraping And Finding Ordered Words In A Dictionary using Python
- Implementing Apriori algorithm in Python
- Python | Implementing 3D Vectors using dunder methods
- Implementing Artificial Neural Network training process in Python
- Implementing Photomosaics
- ML | Implementing L1 and L2 regularization using Sklearn
- Implementing Deep Q-Learning using Tensorflow
- Implementing DBSCAN algorithm using Sklearn
- ML | OPTICS Clustering Implementing using Sklearn
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.