Word similarity is a number between 0 to 1 which tells us how close two words are, semantically. This is done by finding similarity between word vectors in the vector space. spaCy, one of the fastest NLP libraries widely used today, provides a simple method for this task.
spaCy’s Model –
spaCy supports two methods to find word similarity: using context-sensitive tensors, and using word vectors. Below is the code to download these models.
# Downloading the small model containing tensors. python -m spacy download en_core_web_sm # Downloading over 1 million word vectors. python -m spacy download en_core_web_lg
Below is the code to find word similarity, which can be extended to sentences and documents.
cat True 6.6808186 False dog True 7.0336733 False Similarity: 0.80168545
The ‘en_core_web_md’ model yields vectors of dimension 300*1 for ‘dog’ and ‘cat’. One may also use the larger model, ‘en_vectors_web_lg’ which yields vectors of larger dimension for the same two words.
Using Custom Language Models –
By simply switching the language model, we can find a similarity between Latin, French or German documents. spaCy supports a total of 49 languages at present. spaCy also allows one to fix word vectors for words as per user need. Below is an example.
Before custom setting array([0., 0., 0., 0., 0., 0., 0., 0., --- ]) After custom setting array([ 0.68106073, 0.6037007, 0.9526876, -0.25600302, -0.24049562, --- ])
- Python | Measure similarity between two sentences using cosine similarity
- Python | PoS Tagging and Lemmatization using spaCy
- Python | Named Entity Recognition (NER) using spaCy
- Python | Percentage similarity of lists
- Python | Similarity metrics of strings
- Python | Test list element similarity
- NLP | WuPalmer - WordNet Similarity
- NLP | Leacock Chordorow (LCH) and Path similarity for Synset
- Python | Word Stretch
- Python | Word Embedding using Word2Vec
- Python | Reverse each word in a sentence
- Second most repeated word in a sequence in Python
- Generating Word Cloud in Python
- Generating Word Cloud in Python | Set 2
- Python program to remove Nth occurrence of the given word
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.