In Python, isalpha() is a built-in method used for string handling.
The isalpha() methods returns “True” if all characters in the string are alphabets, Otherwise, It returns “False”.
This function is used to check if the argument contains any alphabets characters such as :
string.isalpha() Parameters: isalpha() does not take any parameters Returns : 1.True- If all characters in the string are alphabet. 2.False- If the string contains 1 or more non-alphabets.
Input : string = 'Ayush' Output : True Input : string = 'Ayush Saxena' Output : False Input : string = 'Ayush0212' Output : False
True False False
Errors and Exceptions
- It contains no arguments , therefore an error occurs if a parameter is passed
- Both uppercase and lowercase alphabets return “True”
- Space is not considered to be alphabet, therefore it returns “False”
Application : Given a string in python, count number of alphabets in the string and print the alphabets.
Input : string = 'Ayush Saxena' Output : 11 AyushSaxena Input : string = 'Ayush0212' Output : 5 Ayush
1. Initialise a new string and variable counter to 0.
2. Traverse the given string character by character upto its length, check if character is an alphabet.
3. If it is an alphabet, increment the counter by 1 and add it to a the new string, else traverse to the next character.
4. Print the value of the counter and the new string.
11 AyushSaxena 5 Ayush
- Python String Methods | Set 2 (len, count, center, ljust, rjust, isalpha, isalnum, isspace & join)
- Python String isnumeric() and its application
- Python String isspace() and its application
- Python String isdigit() and its application
- numpy string operations | isalpha() function
- Python | Pandas Series.str.isalpha()
- isprintable() in Python and its application
- divmod() in Python and its application
- Birthday Reminder Application in Python
- Python | Create simple animation for console-based application
- Python | Check if given string can be formed by concatenating string elements of list
- String slicing in Python to check if a string can become empty by recursive deletion
- Python | Merge Tuple String List values to String
- Python | Check if string ends with any string in given list
- Python | Sorting string using order defined by another string
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.