Given birth date in y/m/d format, write a Python program to find the present age in years.
Input : 1997/2/3 Output : 21 years (for present year i.e 2018) Input : 2010/12/25 Output : 8 years (for present year i.e 2018)
Approach # 1:
The naive approach to find the current age in years is to find the difference between the current year and birth year. Refer the Naive appraoch from here.
Approach #2: Using datetime module
Python provides datetime module to deal with all datetime related issues in python. Using datetime we can find the age by subtracting birth year from current year. Along with this, we need to focus on the birth month and birthday. For this, we check if current month and date are less than birth month and date. If yes subtract 1 from age, otherwise 0.
Approach #3 : Efficient datetime approach
The above approaches do not deal with a special case i.e. when birth date is February 29 and the current year is not a leap year. This case has to be raised as an exception because the calculation of birthdate may be inaccurate. This method includes try and catch for this exception.
Approach #4: Using division
In this approach, we calculate the number of date from the birth date till current date. Divide the number of date by the days in a year i.e 365.2425.
- Python program to calculate Dooms Day for a year
- Python program to find the first day of given year
- Python Program for Program to calculate area of a Tetrahedron
- Python program to print calendar of given year
- Program to check if a given year is leap year
- Program to find century for a year
- Program to calculate age
- Program to calculate Electricity Bill
- Program to calculate the Round Trip Time (RTT)
- Program to Calculate Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Python | Pandas DatetimeIndex.year
- Python IMDbPY – Getting year of the series
- Python | Pandas Period.year
- Python | Pandas Series.dt.year
- Python | Pandas PeriodIndex.year
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.