Given birth date in y/m/d format, write a Python program to find the present age in years.
Input : 1997/2/3 Output : 21 years (for present year i.e 2018) Input : 2010/12/25 Output : 8 years (for present year i.e 2018)
Approach # 1:
The naive approach to find the current age in years is to find the difference between the current year and birth year. Refer the Naive appraoch from here.
Approach #2: Using datetime module
Python provides datetime module to deal with all datetime related issues in python. Using datetime we can find the age by subtracting birth year from current year. Along with this, we need to focus on the birth month and birthday. For this, we check if current month and date are less than birth month and date. If yes subtract 1 from age, otherwise 0.
Approach #3 : Efficient datetime approach
The above approaches do not deal with a special case i.e. when birth date is February 29 and the current year is not a leap year. This case has to be raised as an exception because the calculation of birthdate may be inaccurate. This method includes try and catch for this exception.
Approach #4: Using division
In this approach, we calculate the number of date from the birth date till current date. Divide the number of date by the days in a year i.e 365.2425.
- Python Program for Program to calculate area of a Tetrahedron
- Program to check if a given year is leap year
- Python | Pandas Series.dt.year
- Python | Pandas Period.year
- Python | Pandas PeriodIndex.year
- Python | Pandas Timestamp.year
- Python | Pandas DatetimeIndex.year
- Program to find century for a year
- Program to calculate age
- Calculate n + nn + nnn + ... + n(m times) in Python
- Program to Calculate Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Program to calculate the Round Trip Time (RTT)
- Python | Calculate difference between adjacent elements in given list
- Python | Calculate geographic coordinates of places using google geocoding API
- Python | Calculate distance and duration between two places using google distance matrix API
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.