OS module in Python provides functions for interacting with the operating system. OS comes under Python’s standard utility modules. This module provides a portable way of using operating system dependent functionality.
os.statvfs() method in Python is used to get the information about the mounted file system containing the given path. To get file system information the method performs statvfs() system call on the given path.
os.statvfs() method is available on Unix platforms only.
path: A path-like object for which file system information is required.
Return Type: This method returns an object of class ‘os.statvfs_result’ whose attributes represents the information about the file system containing the given path.
The returned os.statvfs_result object has following attributes:
- f_bsize: It represents the file system block size
- f_frsize: It represents the fragment size
- f_blocks It represents the size of fs in f_frsize units
- f_bfree: It represents the number of free blocks
- f_bavail: It represents the number of free blocks for unprivileged users
- f_files: It represents the number of inodes
- f_ffree: It represents the number of free inodes
- f_favail: It represents the number of free inodes for unprivileged users
- f_fsid: It represents the file system ID
- f_flag: It represents the mount flags
- f_namemax: It represents the maximum filename length
os.statvfs_result(f_bsize=4096, f_frsize=4096, f_blocks=59798433, f_bfree=56521834, f_bavail=53466807, f_files=15261696, f_ffree=14933520, f_favail=14933520, f_flag=4096, f_namemax=255) File system block size: 4096 Number of free blocks: 56517297
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level Course