Given an ellipse with a semi-major axis of length a and semi-minor axis of length b. The task is to find the area of an ellipse.
In mathematics, an ellipse is a curve in a plane surrounding by two focal points such that the sum of the distances to the two focal points is constant for every point on the curve or we can say that it is a generalization of the circle.
Important points related to Ellipse:
- Center: A point inside the ellipse which is the midpoint of the line segment which links the two foci. In other words, it is the intersection of minor and major axes.
- Major Axis: The longest diameter of an ellipse is termed as the major axis.
- Minor Axis: The shortest diameter of an ellipse is termed as minor axis.
- Chord: A line segment that links any two points on an ellipse.
- Focus: These are the two fixed points that define an ellipse.
- Latus Rectum: The line segments which passes through the focus of an ellipse and perpendicular to the major axis of an ellipse, is called as the latus rectum of an ellipse.
Area of an ellipse: The formula to find the area of an ellipse is given below:
Area = 3.142 * a * b
where a and b are the semi-major axis and semi-minor axis respectively and 3.142 is the value of π.
Input : a = 5, b = 4 Output : 62.48 Input : a = 10, b = 5 Output : 157.1
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Find the area of largest circle inscribed in ellipse
- Area of the Largest square that can be inscribed in an ellipse
- Area of Largest rectangle that can be inscribed in an Ellipse
- Area of the biggest ellipse inscribed within a rectangle
- Program to find the area of a Square
- Program to find area of a circle
- Program to find area of a triangle
- Program to find the Area of Pentagon
- Program to find the Area of a Parallelogram
- Program to find the Area and Volume of Icosahedron
- Program to find the Area and Perimeter of a Semicircle
- Program to find the surface area of the square pyramid
- Program to find Surface Area and Volume of Octagonal Prism
- Area of a triangle inscribed in a rectangle which is inscribed in an ellipse
- Program for Area Of Square after N-th fold
- Program to calculate Area Of Octagon
- Program to calculate the area of Kite
- Program to calculate the area between two Concentric Circles
- Program to calculate area and volume of a Tetrahedron
- Program to calculate the Surface Area of a Triangular Prism
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.