Given an ellipse, with major axis length 2a & 2b. The task is to find the area of the largest rectangle that can be inscribed in it.
Input: a = 4, b = 3 Output: 24 Input: a = 10, b = 8 Output: 160
Let the upper right corner of the rectangle has co-ordinates (x, y),
Then the area of rectangle, A = 4*x*y.
Equation of ellipse, (x2/a2) + (y2/b2) = 1
Thinking of the area as a function of x, we have
dA/dx = 4xdy/dx + 4y
Differentiating equation of ellipse with respect to x, we have
2x/a2 + (2y/b2)dy/dx = 0,
dy/dx = -b2x/a2y,
dAdx = 4y – (4b2x2/a2y)
Setting this to 0 and simplifying, we have y2 = b2x2/a2.
From equation of ellipse we know that,
y2=b2 – b2x2/a2
Thus, y2=b2 – y2, 2y2=b2, and y2b2 = 1/2.
Clearly, then, x2a2 = 1/2 as well, and the area is maximized when
x= a/√2 and y=b/√2
So the maximum area Area, Amax = 2ab
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Largest ellipse that can be inscribed within a rectangle which in turn is inscribed within a semicircle
- Area of a triangle inscribed in a rectangle which is inscribed in an ellipse
- Area of the Largest square that can be inscribed in an ellipse
- Area of the biggest ellipse inscribed within a rectangle
- Area of a circle inscribed in a rectangle which is inscribed in a semicircle
- Area of largest triangle that can be inscribed within a rectangle
- Ratio of area of a rectangle with the rectangle inscribed in it
- Find the area of largest circle inscribed in ellipse
- Biggest Reuleaux Triangle inscribed within a square which is inscribed within an ellipse
- Largest triangle that can be inscribed in an ellipse
- Area of the biggest possible rhombus that can be inscribed in a rectangle
- Maximum area of a Rectangle that can be circumscribed about a given Rectangle of size LxW
- Largest square that can be inscribed within a hexagon which is inscribed within an equilateral triangle
- Largest right circular cylinder that can be inscribed within a cone which is in turn inscribed within a cube
- Largest right circular cone that can be inscribed within a sphere which is inscribed within a cube
- Largest sphere that can be inscribed in a right circular cylinder inscribed in a frustum
- Largest sphere that can be inscribed within a cube which is in turn inscribed within a right circular cone
- Radius of the biggest possible circle inscribed in rhombus which in turn is inscribed in a rectangle
- Largest rectangle that can be inscribed in a semicircle
- Area of a square inscribed in a circle which is inscribed in an equilateral triangle
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.