Round trip time(RTT) is the length of time it takes for a signal to be sent plus the length of time it takes for an acknowledgement of that signal to be received. This time therefore consists of the propagation times between the two point of signal.
On the Internet, an end user can determine the RTT to and from an IP(Internet Protocol) address by pinging that address. The result depends on various factors :-
- The data rate transfer of the source’s internet connection.
- The nature of transmission medium.
- The physical distance between source and destination.
- The number of nodes between source and destination.
- The amount of traffic on the LAN(Local Area Network) to which end user is connected.
- The number of other requests being handled by intermediate nodes and the remote server.
- The speed with which intermediate node and the remote server function.
- The presence of Interference in the circuit.
Input : www.geeksforgeeks.org Output : Time in seconds : 0.212174892426 Input : www.cricbuzz.com Output : Time in seconds : 0.55425786972
# Python program to calculate RTT import time import requests # Function to calculate the RTT def RTT(url): # time when the signal is sent t1 = time.time() r = requests.get(url) # time when acknowledgement of signal # is received t2 = time.time() # total time taken tim = str(t2-t1) print("Time in seconds :" + tim) # driver program # url address url = "http://www.google.com" RTT(url)
Time in seconds :0.0579478740692
This article is contributed by Pramod Kumar. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Computer Network | Introduction of MAC Address
- Network configuration and trouble shooting commands in Linux
- Program to remotely Power On a PC over the internet using the Wake-on-LAN protocol.
- Quickly convert Decimal to other bases in Python
- Convert Text to Speech in Python
- Computer Network | EIGRP Configuration
- Computer Network | Open shortest path first (OSPF) protocol States
- Computer Network | Open shortest path first (OSPF) protocol fundamentals
- Computer Network | EIGRP fundamentals
- Digital Subscriber Line (DSL)