Given a string you need to print all possible strings that can be made by placing spaces (zero or one) in between them.
Input: str = "ABC" Output: ABC AB C A BC A B C
The idea is to use recursion and create a buffer that one by one contains all output strings having spaces. We keep updating buffer in every recursive call. If the length of given string is ‘n’ our updated string can have maximum length of n + (n-1) i.e. 2n-1. So we create buffer size of 2n (one extra character for string termination).
We leave 1st character as it is, starting from the 2nd character, we can either fill a space or a character. Thus one can write a recursive function like below.
ABCD ABC D AB CD AB C D A BCD A BC D A B CD A B C D
Time Complexity: Since number of Gaps are n-1, there are total 2^(n-1) patters each having length ranging from n to 2n-1. Thus overall complexity would be O(n*(2^n)).
This article is contributed by Gaurav Sharma. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Print all possible strings that can be made by placing spaces
- Count number of strings (made of R, G and B) using given combination
- Check if two strings can be made equal by swapping one character among each other
- Check whether two strings can be made equal by increasing prefixes
- Find the longest string that can be made up of other strings from the array
- Check whether two strings can be made equal by copying their characters with the adjacent ones
- Print all interleavings of given two strings
- Print the most occurring character in an array of strings
- Print all possible strings of length k that can be formed from a set of n characters
- Print all pairs of anagrams in a given array of strings
- Print common characters of two Strings in alphabetical order
- Print array of strings in sorted order without copying one string into another
- Print the final string when minimum value strings get concatenated in every operation
- Print all distinct circular strings of length M in lexicographical order
- Python code to print common characters of two Strings in alphabetical order