numpy.MaskedArray.std() function is used to compute the standard deviation along the specified axis.Here masked entries are ignored. The standard deviation is computed for the flattened array by default, otherwise over the specified axis.
numpy.ma.std(arr, axis=None, dtype=None, out=None, ddof=0, keepdims=False)
arr : [ ndarray ] Input masked array.
axis :[ int, optional] Axis along which the standard deviation is computed.
dtype : [dtype, optional] Type of the returned array, as well as of the accumulator in which the elements are multiplied.
out : [ndarray, optional] A location into which the result is stored.
-> If provided, it must have a shape that the inputs broadcast to.
-> If not provided or None, a freshly-allocated array is returned.
ddof : [int, optional] “Delta Degrees of Freedom”: the divisor used in the calculation is N – ddof, where N represents the number of elements. By default ddof is zero.
keepdims :[ bool, optional] If this is set to True, the axes which are reduced are left in the result as dimensions with size one. With this option, the result will broadcast correctly against the input array.
Return : [standard_deviation_along_axis, ndarray] A new array holding the result is returned unless out is specified, in which case a reference to out is returned.
Code #1 :
Input array : [[ 1 2] [ 3 -1] [ 5 -3]] Masked array : [[-- 2] [-- -1] [5 -3]] standard deviation of masked array along default axis : 3.031088913245535
Code #2 :
Input array : [[1 0 3]
[4 1 6]]
Masked array : [[1 0 3]
[4 1 --]]
standard deviation of masked array along 0 axis : [1.5 0.5 0.0]
standard deviation of masked array along 1 axis : [1.247219128924647 1.5]
- Python | numpy.cov() function
- Python | numpy.copyto() function
- Numpy MaskedArray.all() function | Python
- Numpy size() function | Python
- Numpy recarray.var() function | Python
- Python | numpy.issctype() function
- Python | numpy.issubsctype() function
- Python | numpy.issubdtype() function
- Numpy recarray.put() function | Python
- Numpy recarray.dot() function | Python
- Numpy MaskedArray.mean() function | Python
- Numpy MaskedArray.any() function | Python
- Numpy MaskedArray.dot() function | Python
- Numpy recarray.max() function | Python
- Numpy MaskedArray.sum() function | Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.