Given a value n, find the n’th even Fibonacci Number.
Input : n = 3 Output : 34 Input : n = 4 Output : 144 Input : n = 7 Output : 10946
The Fibonacci numbers are the numbers in the following integer sequence.
0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, ….
where any number in sequence is given by:
Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2 with seed values F0 = 0 and F1 = 1.
The even number Fibonacci sequence is, 0, 2, 8, 34, 144, 610, 2584…. We need to find n’th number in this sequence.
If we take a closer look at Fibonacci sequence, we can notice that every third number in sequence is even and the sequence of even numbers follow following recursive formula.
Recurrence for Even Fibonacci sequence is: EFn = 4EFn-1 + EFn-2 with seed values EF0 = 0 and EF1 = 2. EFn represents n'th term in Even Fibonacci sequence.
How does above formula work?
Let us take a look original Fibonacci Formula and write it in the form of Fn-3 and Fn-6 because of the fact that every third Fibinacci number is even.
Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2 [Expanding both terms] = Fn-2 + Fn-3 + Fn-3 + Fn-4 = Fn-2 + 2Fn-3 + Fn-4 [Expending first term] = Fn-3 + Fn-4 + 2Fn-3 + Fn-4 = 3Fn-3 + 2Fn-4 [Expending one Fn-4] = 3Fn-3 + Fn-4 + Fn-5 + Fn-6 [Combing Fn-4 and Fn-5] = 4Fn-3 + Fn-6 Since every third Fibonacci Number is even, So if Fn is even then Fn-3 is even and Fn-6 is also even. Let Fn be xth even element and mark it as EFx. If Fn is EFx, then Fn-3 is previous even number i.e. EFx-1 and Fn-6 is previous of EFx-1 i.e. EFx-2 So Fn = 4Fn-3 + Fn-6 which means, EFx = 4EFx-1 + EFx-2
Time complexity of above implementation is exponential. We can do it in linear time using Dynamic Programming. We can also do it in O(Log n) time using the fact EFn = F3n. Note that we can find n’th Fibonacci number in O(Log n) time (Please see Methods 5 and 6 here).
This article is contributed by Shivam Pradhan(anuj_charm). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Check if sum of Fibonacci elements in an Array is a Fibonacci number or not
- Check if a M-th fibonacci number divides N-th fibonacci number
- Number of ways to represent a number as sum of k fibonacci numbers
- Finding number of digits in n'th Fibonacci number
- Nth XOR Fibonacci number
- Find the next Non-Fibonacci number
- Find the next fibonacci number
- Fibonacci number in an array
- How to check if a given number is Fibonacci number?
- Count the nodes whose sum with X is a Fibonacci number
- Program to find Nth odd Fibonacci Number
- Find the previous fibonacci number
- n'th multiple of a number in Fibonacci Series
- Check if a number is Full Fibonacci or not
- Count of Fibonacci divisors of a given number
- Python Program for n-th Fibonacci number
- Nth Fibonacci number using Pell's equation
- Find nth Fibonacci number using Golden ratio
- An efficient way to check whether n-th Fibonacci number is multiple of 10
- Distinct pairs from given arrays (a[i], b[j]) such that (a[i] + b[j]) is a Fibonacci number