NTFS Full Form
Prerequisite – File System
NTFS stands for New Technology File System is a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft, started with the Windows NT 3.1 and many other such as Windows 2000, including Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 7, Windows 8. NTFS file system has many technical benefits over FAT (File Allocation Table ) an improved version and HPFS (High Performance File System) an improved support for metadata.
NTFS was introduced in July 1993 with Windows NT 3.1. Microsoft creates a high-quality, high-performance, reliable and secure operating system. In 1995 Windows NT 3.51, NTFS version was introduced to Compressed files, named streams and access control lists. And in 1996 Windows NT 4.0 NTFS version was introduced to Security descriptors. After that Windows 2000 in 2000 introduced to Disk quotas, Encrypting File System and many more.
Characteristics of NTFS :
- Compatibility –
It supports compression of files and directories to optimize storage space.
- Scalability –
It introduced with improved performance, scalable in comparison to its precursor.
- Efficiency –
It utilizes the disk space efficiently by using smaller size of clusters.
- Attributes –
NTFS’s attributes Read-only, hidden, system, archive, not content indexed, off-line, temporary, compressed.
Advantages of NTFS :
- Easily recovers file system and supports long file names.
- Provides users with local security by protecting files and directories.
- NTFS is a journaling file system.
- It supports spanning volumes spread across several physical drives.
- Support larger sized hard drives with increasing general performance of the drive .
Disadvantages of NTFS :
- NTFS performance does not decrease as FAT does.
- Removable devices such as Android smart phones, do not support NTFS.
- Doesn’t include a system that guarantee file system performance.