Navis Interview Experience for Associate Software Engineer Intern + FTE (On-Campus)
Round 1(Online Test on 24th August 2021): The platform was Hackerrank. Time is 1 hr.
- 10 MCQ’s on CS fundamentals
- 10 MCQ’s on Aptitude
- one coding question
- The same problem is given with a scenario, https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/count-distinct-pairs-with-given-sum/
- Results were out on the same day and 25 people were shortlisted for the next round.
The next rounds were scheduled for 25th August 2021.
Round 2(Technical interview 1 – 45 mins): There were 2-panel members in the interview.
- As usual, started the interview with tell me about yourself.
- They asked me to write a program to find Kth largest element in an array. I used bubble sort in the thought that if he asks me to optimize then I can use heap sort. So after implementing it in bubble sort he asked me what is the basic idea in bubble sort? Then he asked me to optimize it on that point. I have optimized it from O (n*n) to O (n*K).
- Then they asked me about the OOPS concept. Given some scenarios and asked to implement using inheritance and print as they said. Then he asked how can you call derived class function using base class reference. The answer is using virtual functions. Then they asked me to implement virtual functions.
As I mentioned I am interested in computer networks, they asked a couple of questions.
- What is the difference between TCP and UDP?
- Which require sockets? Is it TCP or UDP or both?
- What is HTTPS? How is it different from HTTP?
- As I was left with some more time they asked me to implement expression evaluation using stack. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/expression-evaluation/
Finally, they asked me if I have any questions.
Round 3(Technical interview 2 – 45 mins): As usual, started the interview with tell me about yourself. Then he asked why did you prefer this college rather than JNTU college(a famous Government college in AP).
- How do you implement URL shortening? Which data structure can you use? Then I was asked to implement it.
- Convert a string to upper case characters. I implemented using CPP. Then he asked do you know other languages like python or java.
- Given a scenario, there is a chat application in which you developed in CPP and your friend in java or python, then how communication can happen?
- What is the difference between process and threads?
- Example of threads.
- Recently instead of threads, we are using another one. Do you know that? Do you know Nodejs? I said no. Then he said there were some functions called asynchronous wait in Nodejs.
- How do you end a process if it is not responding? How does OS know the process is doing no work and end that process?
- What are the commands used in Linux to end a process? What operating system do you use, do you have any idea about Linux operating system?
- Difference between classes and structures?
- We allocated 50 blocks of memory using calloc and 100 blocks of data using malloc, if we give free command how does the system know how much memory it needs to remove?
- What is the difference between heap memory and stack memory? When are they used?
- What is the port number for HTTP?
That’s it. Asked me any questions? And finally said will hear from HR shortly.
Round 4(Managerial – 30 mins): Again started with tell me about yourself.
- As I have used CPP in previous rounds, he said he will test me on that. I was given a scenario. There is a client and server architecture in which the client has 1 Gb memory. while using that application the memory is growing to 10 Gb, 32Gb like that. What is your opinion on this? What is the reason behind this? How can you solve this? This was related to memory leakage. Then he asked me do I know anything about smart pointers? Then he said this problem can be solved using smart pointers in CPP.
- Why do you prefer CPP to java?
- Are there any garbage collectors in CPP?
- What is a mutex? Why do we need to use that?
- Implementation of BST
- Do you know about splitting tables in DBMS? But he didn’t ask any questions.
- Similarly joins.
He asked some HR questions
- Why Navis?
- Do you know anyone who is working for Navis?
- Why did you join this college?
- Why did you come so far for your studies?
- What are you planning to do for your final year project?
- Among web development, ML, cloud …which will you prefer to work in?
Round 5(HR – 15 mins):
- Why Navis?
- What does Navis do?
- What is your job after joining navis?
- Who is the CEO of navis?
- Where is the headquarters of navis?
- How can you say you are ahead of your friends?
- Have you done a project with seniors or juniors?
- While doing a project with your friend, did you solve anything innovatively? How did you convince him/her on your idea?
- Tell me about your family.
- Any questions?
Results are out the next day.
They took 5. Finally, I want to mention that the interviewers were really friendly and I had a great interview experience.
- Don’t be tensed. If you could not answer any question, just leave about that and try to concentrate on the next questions without losing confidence.
- Maintain a smiley face.
- Be strong on basics.
- Be confident.
That’s it. All the best!!
Hey geek! It’s time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsoft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!