Given an integer N. The task is to find the number in the range from 1 to N-1 which is having the maximum number of terms in its Collatz Sequence and the number of terms in the sequence.
The collatz sequence of a number N is defined as:
- If N is Odd then change N to 3*N + 1.
- If N is Even then change N to N / 2.
For example let us have a look at the sequence when N = 13:
13 -> 40 -> 20 -> 10 -> 5 > 16 -> 8 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1
Output: (9, 20)
9 has 20 terms in its Collatz sequence
Output: (27, 112)
27 has 112 terms
As in the above example discussed for N = 13, collatz sequence for N = 13 and N = 40 have similar terms except one, that ensures there may be an involvement of dynamic programming to store the answer for subproblems and reuse it.
But here normal memoization will not work because at one step we are either making a number large from itself ( in above example N = 13 is depending upon the solution of N = 40 ) or dividing by 2 ( N = 40 solution depends upon the solution of N = 20 ).
So instead of using a dp array we will use a Map/ dictionary data structure to store the solution of subproblems and will perform the normal operation as discussed in the collatz sequence.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Program to implement Collatz Conjecture
- G-Fact 21 | Collatz Sequence
- Program to print Collatz Sequence
- Program for Goldbach’s Conjecture (Two Primes with given Sum)
- Lemoine's Conjecture
- Ramanujan–Nagell Conjecture
- Legendre's Conjecture
- Triangle of numbers arising from Gilbreath's conjecture
- Goldbach's Weak Conjecture for Odd numbers
- Find maximum length Snake sequence
- Maximum Length of Sequence of Sums of prime factors generated by the given operations
- Lexicographically smallest permutation of a string that can be reduced to length K by removing K-length prefixes from palindromic substrings of length 2K
- Length of longest subarray of length at least 2 with maximum GCD
- Find minimum length sub-array which has given sub-sequence in it
- Minimum sum possible of any bracket sequence of length N
- Total number of odd length palindrome sub-sequence around each centre
- Length of second longest sequence of consecutive 1s in a binary array
- Length of smallest sequence having sum X and product Y
- Length of the longest increasing subsequence which does not contain a given sequence as Subarray
- Generate Bitonic Sequence of length N from integers in a given range
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.