Given a string, find the longest substring which is palindrome. For example, if the given string is “forgeeksskeegfor”, the output should be “geeksskeeg”.
Method 1 ( Brute Force )
The simple approach is to check each substring whether the substring is a palindrome or not. We can run three loops, the outer two loops pick all substrings one by one by fixing the corner characters, the inner loop checks whether the picked substring is palindrome or not.
Time complexity: O ( n^3 )
Auxiliary complexity: O ( 1 )
Method 2 ( Dynamic Programming )
The time complexity can be reduced by storing results of subproblems. The idea is similar to this post. We maintain a boolean table[n][n] that is filled in bottom up manner. The value of table[i][j] is true, if the substring is palindrome, otherwise false. To calculate table[i][j], we first check the value of table[i+1][j-1], if the value is true and str[i] is same as str[j], then we make table[i][j] true. Otherwise, the value of table[i][j] is made false.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Longest palindrome substring is: geeksskeeg Length is: 10
Time complexity: O ( n^2 )
Auxiliary Space: O ( n^2 )
A better space complexity approach can be found in Set-2.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Longest Palindromic Substring | Set 2
- Longest Non-palindromic substring
- Manacher's Algorithm - Linear Time Longest Palindromic Substring - Part 2
- Manacher's Algorithm - Linear Time Longest Palindromic Substring - Part 1
- Manacher's Algorithm - Linear Time Longest Palindromic Substring - Part 3
- Manacher's Algorithm - Linear Time Longest Palindromic Substring - Part 4
- Maximum length palindromic substring such that it starts and ends with given char
- Longest Palindromic Subsequence | DP-12
- Print Longest Palindromic Subsequence
- Longest substring of vowels
- Longest Common Substring | DP-29
- Longest substring with count of 1s more than 0s
- Length of the longest substring that do not contain any palindrome
- Longest substring such that no three consecutive characters are same
- Length of the longest substring with equal 1s and 0s
Improved By : nitin mittal