Prerequisite – Introduction of Compiler design
Linker is a program in a system which helps to link a object modules of program into a single object file. It performs the process of linking. Linker are also called link editors. Linking is process of collecting and maintaining piece of code and data into a single file. Linker also link a particular module into system library. It takes object modules from assembler as input and forms an executable file as output for loader.
Linking is performed at both compile time, when the source code is translated into machine code and load time, when the program is loaded into memory by the loader. Linking is performed at the last step in compiling a program.
Source code -> compiler -> Assembler -> Object code -> Linker -> Executable file -> Loader
Linking is of two types:
1. Static Linking –
It is performed during the compilation of source program. Linking is performed before execution in static linking. It takes collection of relocatable object file and command-line argument and generate fully linked object file that can be loaded and run.
Static linker perform two major task:
- Symbol resolution – It associates each symbol reference with exactly one symbol definition .Every symbol have predefined task.
- Relocation – It relocate code and data section and modify symbol references to the relocated memory location.
The linker copy all library routines used in the program into executable image. As a result, it require more memory space. As it does not require the presence of library on the system when it is run . so, it is faster and more portable. No failure chance and less error chance.
2. Dynamic linking – Dynamic linking is performed during the run time. This linking is accomplished by placing the name of a shareable library in the executable image. There is more chances of error and failure chances. It require less memory space as multiple program can share a single copy of the library.
Here we can perform code sharing. it means we are using a same object a number of times in the program. Instead of linking same object again and again into the library, each module share information of a object with other module having same object. The shared library needed in the linking is stored in virtual memory to save RAM. In this linking we can also relocate the code for the smooth running of code but all the code is not relocatable.It fixes the address at run time.
- Determining Countability in TOC
- Thread Control Block in Operating System
- Thread States in Operating Systems
- Algorithm for non recursive Predictive Parsing
- Adders and Subtractors in Digital Logic
- Advantages of Database Management System
- Program to show Belady's Anomaly
- Static and Dynamic Linking in Operating Systems
- Removing Direct and Indirect Left Recursion in a Grammar
- Total Recursive Functions and Partial Recursive Functions in Automata
- Introduction of Shortest Remaining Time First (SRTF) algorithm
- Floating point error in Python
- IIT Kanpur M. Tech Interview Experience
- Process Scheduler : PCBs and Queueing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ArnaMaity