Install Apache Spark in a Standalone Mode on Windows
Apache Spark is a lightning-fast unified analytics engine used for cluster computing for large data sets like BigData and Hadoop with the aim to run programs parallel across multiple nodes. It is a combination of multiple stack libraries such as SQL and Dataframes, GraphX, MLlib, and Spark Streaming.
Spark operates in 4 different modes:
- Standalone Mode: Here all processes run within the same JVM process.
- Standalone Cluster Mode: In this mode, it uses the Job-Scheduling framework in-built in Spark.
- Apache Mesos: In this mode, the work nodes run on various machines, but the driver runs only in the master node.
- Hadoop YARN: In this mode, the drivers run inside the application’s master node and is handled by YARN on the Cluster.
In This article, we will explore Apache Spark installation in a Standalone mode. Apache Spark is developed in Scala programming language and runs on the JVM. Java installation is one of the mandatory things in spark. So let’s start with Java installation.
Step 1: Download the Java JDK.
Step 2: Open the downloaded Java SE Development Kit and follow along with the instructions for installation.
Step 3: Open the environment variable on the laptop by typing it in the windows search bar.
Set JAVA_HOME Variables:
To set the JAVA_HOME variable follow the below steps:
- Click on the User variable Add JAVA_HOME to PATH with value Value: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_261.
- Click on the System variable Add C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_261\bin to PATH variable.
- Open command prompt and type “java –version”, it will show below appear & verify Java installation.
For installing Scala on your local machine follow the below steps:
Step 1: Download Scala.
Step 2: Click on the .exe file and follow along instructions to customize the setup according to your needs.
Step 3: Accept the agreement and click the next button.
Set environmental variables:
- In User Variable Add SCALA_HOME to PATH with value C:\Program Files (x86)\scala.
- In System Variable Add C:\Program Files (x86)\scala\bin to PATH variable.
Verify Scala installation:
In the Command prompt use the below command to verify Scala installation:
Download a pre-built version of the Spark and extract it into the C drive, such as C:\Spark. Then click on the installation file and follow along the instructions to set up Spark.
Set environmental variables:
- In User variable Add SPARK_HOME to PATH with value C:\spark\spark-2.4.6-bin-hadoop2.7.
- In System variable Add%SPARK_HOME%\bin to PATH variable.
Download Windows Utilities:
If you wish to operate on Hadoop data follow the below steps to download utility for Hadoop:
Step 1: Download the winutils.exe file.
Step 2: Copy the file to C:\spark\spark-1.6.1-bin-hadoop2.6\bin.
Step 3: Now execute “spark-shell” on cmd to verify spark installation as shown below:
Please Login to comment...