ArrayList is same as dynamic arrays with the ability to resize itself automatically when an element is inserted or deleted, with their storage being handled automatically by the container.
- ArrayList elements are placed in contiguous storage so that they can be accessed and traversed using iterators.
- In ArrayList, data is inserted at the end.
- Inserting at the end takes differential time, as sometimes there may be a need of extending the array.
- Removing the last element takes only constant time because no resizing happens.
- Inserting and erasing at the beginning or in the middle is linear in time.
Functions to be implemented in the Dynamic array class:
Certain functions associated with the ArrayList that we will implement are:
- void push(int data): This function takes one element and inserts it at the last. Amortized time complexity is O(1).
- void push(int data, int index): It inserts data at the specified index. Time complexity is O(1).
- int get(int index): It is used to get the element at the specified index. Time complexity is O(1).
- void pop(): It deletes the last element. Time complexity is O(1).
- int size(): It returns the size of the ArrayList i.e, number of elements in the ArrayList. Time complexity is O(1).
- int getcapacity(): It returns the capacity of the ArrayList. Time complexity is O(1).
- void print(): It is used to print array elements. Time complexity is O(N), where N is the size of the ArrayList.
Implementation of the Dynamic array class:
Below is the implementation of our own ArrayList class.
ArrayList size: 5 ArrayList capacity: 8 ArrayList elements: 10 20 30 40 50 After updating 1st index ArrayList elements: 10 100 30 40 50 Element at 1st index: 100 After deleting the last element ArrayList size: 4 ArrayList capacity: 8 ArrayList elements: 10 100 30 40
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.