This will help you to create or modify a variable. It is common to define a new variable based on the existing variable.
Let’s create a dataset
In the code below, we are creating a dataset named as Example1 which is going to store on WORK(temporary) library. In this dataset, there would be a variable called OldRate which contains a numeric value. The RUN statement is defined to close the dataset program.
Creating a numeric variable
You can create variables using the form: variable = expression;
Suppose you are asked to create a new variable NewRate, in the existing SAS data set Example1. Both variables are numeric. The variable NewRate is twice of OldRate.
If you are asked to store a new variable NewRate on a new dataset, you can create it using DATA statement.
In above case, the dataset READIN was created.
- Creating a character variable
In the dataset Example1, let’s create a character variable as Type. The character value for the set is set ‘GeeksforGeeks’.
The quote marks need to be entered around the character variable.
Since Type is a character variable, so the value entered should in quotes. It can be either single or double quotes.
Creating or Modifying a variable
Suppose the value of OldRate is increased by 8 units and you need to calculate the relative change in rate. In this case, we are modifying the existing variable OldRate so we will add 8 to OldRate. later we calculate the percentage change between old and new rate.
OldRate=8 + OldRate;
Change= ((NewRate-OldRate)/ OldRate);
Format Change Percent10.0;
The FORMAT statement is used to display the changed value in percentage format.
- Introduction to SAS programming
- How to import External Data from Excel or Text file into SAS Programming?
- Contains and Between-And operators in SAS Programming
- How to drop variables from a dataset in SAS Programming?
- Where Statement in SAS Programming
- If-Then-Else statement in SAS Programming
- IS MISSING and IS NOT MISSING Operators in SAS Programming
- Like Operator in SAS Programming
- How to import data into SAS?
- SAS | How to specify a list of Variables?
- SAS | How to read character of varying length using COLON Modifier
- SAS | How to read character using Ampersand(&)
- SAS | Date Formats and Informats
- SAS | Delete Empty Rows
- SAS | COALESCE Function with Examples
- SAS : How to Display Current Date?
- SAS | COMPRESS Function with Examples
- Modify values of a Data Frame in R Language - transform() Function
- How to load and modify matrices and vectors in Octave?
- Scope of Variable in R
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.