How Software Inspection improves Software Quality ?
The term software inspection was developed by IBM in the early 1970s, when it was noticed that the testing was not enough sufficient to attain high quality software for large applications.
Inspection is used to determine the defects in the code and remove it efficiently. This prevents defects and enhances the quality of testing to remove defects. This software inspection method achieved the highest level for efficiently removing defects and improving software quality.
There are some factors that generate the high quality software:
- Phrases quality design inspection and Code inspections: This factor refers to formal oversight that follows protocols such as training. Participants, material distributed for inspection. Both moderators and recorders are present to analyze defect statistics.
- Phrase quality assurance : This factor refers to an active software quality assurance group, which joins a group of software developments to support them in the development of high quality software.
- Formal Testing :It throws the test process under certain conditions
- For an application, a test plan was created.
- Are complete specifications so that test cases can be made without significant gaps.
- Vast library control tools are used.
- Test coverage analysis tools are used.
Software Inspection Process : The inspection process was developed in the mid 1970s, later extended and revised. The process must have an entry criterion that determines whether the inspection process is ready to begin. this prevents incomplete products from entering the inspection process. Entry criteria can be interstitial with items such as “The Spell-Document Check”.
There are some of the stages in the software inspection process such as-
- Planning : The moderator plan the inspection.
- Overview Meeting: The background of the work product is described by the author.
- Preparation: The examination of the work product is done by inspector to identify the possible defects.
- Inspection Meeting: The reader reads the work product part by part during this meeting and the inspectors the faults of each part.
- Rework: After the inspection meeting, the writer changes the work product according to the work plans.
- Follow Up: The changes done by the author are checked to make sure that everything is correct.
Advantages of Software Inspection:
- Helps in the Early removal of major defects.
- This inspection enables a numeric quality assessment of any technical document.
- Software inspection helps in process improvement.
- It helps in staff training on the job.
- Software inspection helps in gradual productivity improvement.
Disadvantages of Software Inspection:
- It is a time-consuming process.
- Software inspection requires discipline.