In Software engineering Software Quality Assurance (SAQ) assures the quality in the software. Set of activities in SAQ are continuously applied through out the software process. Software Quality is measured based on some software quality metrics.
There is a number of metrics available based on which software quality is measured. But among them there are few most useful metrics which are most essential in software quality measurement. They are –
- Code Quality
Now let’s understand each quality metrics in detail –
1. Code Quality – Code quality metrics measure the quality of code used for the software project development. Maintaining the software code quality by writing Bug-free and semantically correct code is very important for a good software project development. In code quality both Quantitative metrics like number of lines, complexity, functions, rate of bugs generation etc and Qualitative metrics like readability, code clarity, efficiency, maintainability etc are measured.
2. Reliability – Reliability metrics measure what is the software of software in different conditions. The software is able to provide exact service in the right time or not is checked. Reliability can be checked using Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) and Mean Time To Repair (MTTR).
3. Performance – Performance metrics are used to measure the performance of a software. Each software has been developed for some specific purposes. Performance metrics measures the performance of the software by determining whether the software is fulfilling the user requirements or not, by analyzing how much time and resource it is utilizing for providing the service.
4. Usability – Usability metrics checks whether the program is user friendly or not. Each software is used by the end user. So it is important to measure that the end user is happy or not by using this software.
5. Correctness – Correctness is one of the important software quality metric as this checks whether the system or software is working correctly without any error by satisfying the user. Correctness gives the degree of service each function provides as per developed.
6. Maintainability – Each software product requires maintenance and up gradation. Maintenance is an expensive and time consuming process. So if the software product provides easy maintainability then we can say software quality is up to mark. Maintainability metrics include time requires to adapt to a new features/functionality, Mean Time to Change (MTTC), performance in changed environments etc.
7. Integrity – Software integrity is important in terms of how much it is easy to integrate with other required software’s which increases software functionality and what is the control on integration from unauthorized software’s which increases the chances of cyber attacks.
8. Security – Security metrics measures how much secure the software is ? In the age of cyber terrorism, security is the most essential part of every software. Security assures that there no unauthorized changes, no fear of cyber attacks etc when the software product is in use by the end user.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Dimension of Software Quality | Garvin's Dimensions Of Quality
- Quality Function Deployment (QFD) in Software Quality
- House of Quality Example in Software Quality
- Differences between Quality Assurance and Quality Control
- Software Engineering | Halstead’s Software Metrics
- Software Engineering | Identifying Software Development Metrics
- Software Measurement and Metrics
- Product Metrics in Software Engineering
- Inspection Metrics in Software Engineering
- Software Engineering | Software Quality Assurance
- Software Engineering | Software Quality Assurance (SQA) Set 2
- Software Engineering | Software Quality Framework
- Software Engineering | Software Quality
- How Software Inspection improves Software Quality ?
- Extended Function Point (EFP) Metrics
- Short Note on Function-Oriented Metrics
- Short Note on Size-Oriented Metrics
- Metrics for the Design Model of the Product
- Core Metrics to Manage Modern Process
- Software Engineering | Quality Characteristics of a good SRS
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.