Over the last decade, the gaming industry has gained a lot of popularity. More and more advanced games are being built for user’s entertainment, some of the top companies in this field are Sony Playstation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo etc. Building these games is a tough process and requires special game engines, two mostly used game engines are Unity and Godot engines. Both of these softwares are designed especially for easing the game development process. A large number of games have been developed using these game engines like Assassin’s Creed Unity, Cruelty Squad, Carol Reed Mysteries etc. so we will compare these two game engines in detail.
Godot is computer software that is used for making 2D and 3D games for different operating systems. It is free and open-source software. It is a cross-platform software and is capable of running on different platforms like Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc. It is written in C and C++ programming languages. It was first launched in 2014 and the stable release came in 2021. In this article, we will learn how to install Godot Game Engine on Windows.
Advantages of Godot
- It has a simple interface which is easy to use even by beginners.
- It supports the development of 2D games along with 3D games.
- Godot provides its own IDE for game development.
- It is cross-platform.
Disadvantages of Godot
- It lacks 2D physics capabilities.
- It does not have the capabilities to build heavy graphic games.
Unity is a software mainly used for the development of video games for computer and mobile platforms. It is also used in the field of Augmented and virtual reality. Unity was developed by Unity Technologies in 2005. It is a cross-platform game engine. It was developed only for OS X but now it can be used on different platforms like Windows, Mac, etc. Unity is free of cost and is open to all. It is easy to use so it is used by most game developers for making games and applications. It is written in C++ and C#. It is used to create 2D and 3D games.
Advantages of Unity
- It is a cross-platform game development engine means games can be used on multiple platforms.
- It is best for indie game developers as its personal licence is free.
- A large number of plugins are available to enhance its capabilities.
- It has its own asset store from where one can download pre-built gaming assets.
Disadvantages of Unity
- Rendering of unity is slower as compared to the unreal engine.
- Unity is not suitable for AAA games.
- Importing templates from other platforms is not allowed so everything needs to be built from scratch.
Following is a table of differences between the Godot engine and Unity:
|It can be understood as a cross-platform game engine which provides robust tools to develop different types of games.
|It can be defined as an advanced game development software to make 2d and 3d games.
|It was developed by Juan Linietsky and Ariel Manzu.
|It was developed by Unity Technologies.
|It is an open-source game engine.
|It is not an open-source game engine.
|It is completely free.
|Unity provides a personal licence for free and a pro licence for $1800 per year i.e. $150 per month.
|It is built using the C++ programming language.
|It is built using C# and C++ programming languages.
|It is a lightweight software which has an executable file of 60 MB only.
|It is heavy software which requires large disk space.
|GDscript is used to add custom functionalities.
|Unityscript is used for the customization of different features.
|It has a market share of 6.11% in-game development market.
|It has a market share of 11%.
Share your thoughts in the comments
Please Login to comment...