Class or static variables are shared by all objects. Instance or non-static variables are different for different objects (every object has a copy of it).
For example, let a Computer Science Student be represented by class CSStudent. The class may have a static variable whose value is “cse” for all objects. And class may also have non-static members like name and roll.
In C++ and Java, we can use static keyword to make a variable as class variable. The variables which don’t have preceding static keyword are instance variables. See this for Java example and this for C++ example.
The Python approach is simple, it doesn’t require a static keyword. All variables which are assigned a value in class declaration are class variables. And variables which are assigned values inside methods are instance variables.
cse cse Geek Nerd 1 2 cse
This article is contributed by Harshit Gupta. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- class method vs static method in Python
- Python Variables
- Bound, unbound, and static methods in Python
- Private Variables in Python
- Python Scope of Variables
- Global and Local Variables in Python
- Tracing Tkinter variables in Python
- Python | Unpack whole list into variables
- Python Program to Swap Two Variables
- Python | Extract key-value of dictionary in variables
- How are variables stored in Python - Stack or Heap?
- Swap two variables in one line in C/C++, Python, PHP and Java
- How to assign values to variables in Python and other languages
- Python - Pearson Correlation Test Between Two Variables
- Inserting variables to database table using Python
- Python | Set 2 (Variables, Expressions, Conditions and Functions)
- Python - Construct variables of list elements
- Python | Assign multiple variables with list values
- Python | Difference between Pandas.copy() and copying through variables
- Python program to find number of local variables in a function
Improved By : rahulpy