Given N which is the size of the N X N spiral matrix of the form:
16 15 14 13 5 4 3 12 6 1 2 11 7 8 9 10
The task is to find the sum of the diagonal elements of this matrix.
Input: N = 3 Output: 25 5 4 3 6 1 2 7 8 9 The sum of elements along its two diagonals will be 1 + 3 + 7 + 5 + 9 = 25 Input: N = 5 Output: 101
Approach: Idea behind the solution is to use the concept of Dynamic Programming. We will use array dp to store our solution. N given in the problem can either be even or odd.
When i is odd, we have to add only 4 corner elements in dp[i – 2].
dp[i] = dp[i – 2] + (i – 2) * (i – 2) + (i – 1) + (i – 2) * (i – 2) + 2 * (i – 1) + (i – 2) * (i – 2) + 3 * (i – 1) + (i – 2) * (i – 2) + 4 * (i – 1)
dp[i] = dp[i – 2] + 4 * (i – 2) * (i – 2) + 10 * (i – 1)
dp[i] = dp[i – 2] + 4 * (i) * (i) – 6 * (i – 1)
Similarly, we can check that the above formula is true when i is even.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
- Program to swap upper diagonal elements with lower diagonal elements of matrix.
- Squares of Matrix Diagonal Elements
- Reverse Diagonal elements of matrix
- Print all the sub diagonal elements of the given square matrix
- Program to convert the diagonal elements of the matrix to 0
- Print all the super diagonal elements of the given square matrix
- Filling diagonal to make the sum of every row, column and diagonal equal of 3x3 matrix
- Find a Symmetric matrix of order N that contain integers from 0 to N-1 and main diagonal should contain only 0's
- Circular Matrix (Construct a matrix with numbers 1 to m*n in spiral way)
- Program to check diagonal matrix and scalar matrix
- Program to convert given Matrix to a Diagonal Matrix
- Find sum of all elements in a matrix except the elements in row and/or column of given cell?
- Print a given matrix in spiral form
- Print n x n spiral matrix using O(1) extra space
- Print K'th element in spiral form of matrix
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.