Given an array A and an integer H where and . Each element A[i] represents remaining pending jobs to be done and H represents hours left to complete all of the jobs. The task is to find the minimum speed in jobs per Hour at which person needs to work to complete all jobs in H hours.
Note: If A[i] has less job to be done than speed of person then he finish all of the work of A[i] and won’t go to next element during this hour.
Input: A = [3, 6, 7, 11], H = 8 Output: 4 Input: A = [30, 11, 23, 4, 20], H = 5 Output: 30
Approach: If the person can finish all the jobs (within H hours) with an speed of K jobs/hour then he can finish all jobs with a larger speed too.
If we let ispossible(K) be true if and only if the person can finish with a job speed of K, then there is some X such that ispossible(K) = True if and only if K >= X.
For example, with A = [3, 6, 7, 11] and H = 8, there is some X = 4 so that ispossible(1) = ispossible(2) = ispossible(3) = False, and ispossible(4) = ispossible(5) = … = True.
We can do a binary search on the values of ispossible(K) to find the first X such that ispossible(X) is True which will be our answer.
Now, as it is not allowed to move from one element to other during the current hour even if the job is completed than the maximum possible value of K can be the maximum element in the array A. So, to find the value of ispossible(K), (i.e. whether person with a job speed of K can finish all jobs in H hours), do binary search in the range (1, max_element_of_array).
Also, for each A[i] of jobs > 0, we can deduce that person finishes it in Math.ceil(A[i] / K) or ((A[i]-1) / K) + 1 hours, and we add these for all elements to find the total time to complete all of the jobs and compare it with H to check if it is possible to finish all jobs with a speed of K jobs/hour.
Below is the implementation of above approach:
# Python3 program to find minimum
# speed to finish all jobs
# Function to check if the person can do
# all jobs in H hours with speed K
def isPossible(A, n, H, K):
time = 0
for i in range(n):
time += (A[i] – 1) // K + 1
return time <= H # Function to return the minimum speed # of person to complete all jobs def minJobSpeed(A, n, H): # If H < N it is not possible to complete # all jobs as person can not move from # one element to another during current hour if H < n: return -1 # Max element of array Max = max(A) lo, hi = 1, Max # Use binary search to find smallest K while lo < hi: mi = lo + (hi - lo) // 2 if not isPossible(A, n, H, mi): lo = mi + 1 else: hi = mi return lo if __name__ == "__main__": A = [3, 6, 7, 11] H = 8 n = len(A) # Print required maxLenwer print(minJobSpeed(A, n, H)) # This code is contributed by Rituraj Jain [tabbyending]
Time Complexity: O(N*log(M)), where N is the length of array and M is max(A).
- Find minimum time to finish all jobs with given constraints
- Program to find the Speed of train as per speed of sound
- Program to find Length of Bridge using Speed and Length of Train
- Calculate speed, distance and time
- Find the value of N when F(N) = f(a)+f(b) where a+b is the minimum possible and a*b = N
- Find minimum x such that (x % k) * (x / k) == n | Set-2
- Find minimum x such that (x % k) * (x / k) == n
- Find minimum possible values of A, B and C when two of the (A + B), (A + C) and (B + C) are given
- Find minimum positive integer x such that a(x^2) + b(x) + c >= k
- Find minimum sum of factors of number
- Find the first, second and third minimum elements in an array
- Number of hours after which the second person moves ahead of the first person if they travel at a given speed
- Find the minimum value of m that satisfies ax + by = m and all values after m also satisfy
- Find minimum area of rectangle with given set of coordinates
- Find the maximum possible value of the minimum value of modified array
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.