Two guns were fired from same place at an interval of ‘X’ minutes. A person who is approaching the shooting place by train hears the shooting sound at an interval of ‘Y’ minutes, The task is to find the ‘S’ i.e speed of the train.
Note: Speed of the sound in air is 330m/s in a fixed value.
Input: X = 14 min, Y = 13.5 min
Output: S = 44 km/hr
Input: X = 8 min, Y = 7.2 min
Output: S = 132 km/hr
Approach: Take the first example,
- Distance covered by the train in Y minutes
= Distance covered by the sound in (X – Y) minutes
= 330 * (X – Y) * 60 minutes (Distance = speed of sound * time)
- Speed of the train
= (330 * (X – Y) * 60 ) / Y (Speed = distance / time)
= (330 * 60 * (X – Y)) / 1000 * (60 / y)
= 1188 [ (X – Y) / Y] km/hr
- Now, According to 1st example
Time difference i.e (X – Y) = 14.00 – 13.30 = 30sec
Speed of train = 1188 * [ (14 – 13.5) / 13.5 ] = 44km/hr
- This can be calculated by using the below formula:
Below is the implementation of the above approach.
# Python3 implementation of the approach
from math import ceil
# Function to find the
# Speed of train
def speedOfTrain(X, Y):
Speed = 0
Speed = 1188 * ((X – Y) / Y)
# Driver code
if __name__ == ‘__main__’:
X = 8
Y = 7.2
# calling Function
end = ” km/hr”)
# This code is contributed by
- Program to find Length of Bridge using Speed and Length of Train
- Find minimum speed to finish all Jobs
- Calculate speed, distance and time
- Number of hours after which the second person moves ahead of the first person if they travel at a given speed
- Program to find sum of 1 + x/2! + x^2/3! +...+x^n/(n+1)!
- Program to find the sum of a Series 1/1! + 2/2! + 3/3! + 4/4! +.......+ n/n!
- Program to find the sum of a Series 1 + 1/2^2 + 1/3^3 + …..+ 1/n^n
- Program to find sum of series 1 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 3 + . . . + n
- Program to find the sum of a Series (1*1) + (2*2) + (3*3) + (4*4) + (5*5) + ... + (n*n)
- Program to find sum of series 1*2*3 + 2*3*4+ 3*4*5 + . . . + n*(n+1)*(n+2)
- Program to find Sum of a Series a^1/1! + a^2/2! + a^3/3! + a^4/4! +…….+ a^n/n!
- Program to find sum of series 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + .. + 1/n
- Program to find LCM of two numbers
- Program to find GCD or HCF of two numbers
- Program to find the sum of the series (1/a + 2/a^2 + 3/a^3 + ... + n/a^n)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.