Given a large integer N, the task is to find all the possible remainders when N is divided by all the positive integers from 1 to N + 1.
Input: N = 5
Output: 0 1 2 5
5 % 1 = 0
5 % 2 = 1
5 % 3 = 2
5 % 4 = 1
5 % 5 = 0
5 % 6 = 5
Input: N = 11
Output: 0 1 2 3 5 11
Naive approach: Run a loop from 1 to N + 1 and return all the unique remainders found when dividing N by any integer from the range. But this approach is not efficient for larger values of N.
Efficient approach: It can be observed that one part of the answer will always contain numbers between 0 to ceil(sqrt(n)). It can be proven by running the naive algorithm on smaller values of N and checking the remainders obtained or by solving the equation ceil(N / k) = x or x ≤ (N / k) < x + 1 where x is one of the remainders for all integers k when N is divided by k for k from 1 to N + 1.
The solution to the above inequality is nothing but integers k from (N / (x + 1), N / x] of length N / x – N / (x + 1) = N / (x2 + x). Therefore, iterate from k = 1 to ceil(sqrt(N)) and store all the unique N % k. What if the above k is greater than ceil(sqrt(N))? They will always correspond to values 0 ≤ x < ceil(sqrt(N)). So, again start storing remainders from N / (ceil(sqrt(N)) – 1 to 0 and return the final answer with all the possible remainders.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
0 1 2 5
- Count of distinct remainders when N is divided by all the numbers from the range [1, N]
- Check if N leaves only distinct remainders on division by all values up to K
- Minimum operations to make counts of remainders same in an array
- Print all possible ways to write N as sum of two or more positive integers
- Find all the possible numbers in a range that can be evenly divided by its digits
- Count of integers obtained by replacing ? in the given string that give remainder 5 when divided by 13
- Find n positive integers that satisfy the given equations
- Find the number of positive integers less than or equal to N that have an odd number of digits
- Find K distinct positive odd integers with sum N
- Maximum possible remainder when an element is divided by other element in the array
- Count 'd' digit positive integers with 0 as a digit
- Count positive integers with 0 as a digit and maximum 'd' digits
- Number of arrays of size N whose elements are positive integers and sum is K
- Ways to write N as sum of two or more positive integers | Set-2
- Check whether product of integers from a to b is positive , negative or zero
- Check whether a number can be represented as sum of K distinct positive integers
- Number of ways in which N can be represented as the sum of two positive integers
- Maximum number of distinct positive integers that can be used to represent N
- Represent (2 / N) as the sum of three distinct positive integers of the form (1 / m)
- Permutation of first N positive integers such that prime numbers are at prime indices
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.