Explain use of Meta tags in HTML ?
Meta Tag (<meta/>) is a HTML component that gives the metadata about a HTML document. MetaData can be characterized as data that gives the data of different information or basic information about information. It is an empty tag, for example, it just has an initial tag and no end tag. They are always present inside the <Head> tag and are utilized to portray Page portrayals, Certain Keywords, Author of the Document, viewport settings, determining character sets, and so on.
They are used by Web Browsers, Search Engines, and other Web Services to rank the web pages accordingly.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important HTML concepts with the Web Design for Beginners | HTML course.
<head> <meta attribute-name = "value"/> </head>
- name: This attribute is used for indicating the character encoding for the HTML Document.
- http-equiv: This attribute is used to get the HTTP response message header.
- content: This attribute is used to specify properties value.
- charset: This is used for indicating the character encoding for the HTML Document.
Uses of Meta Tags in HTML:
1. Specifying Important Keywords: The meta tag contains important keywords that are present on the web page and is utilized by the web browser to rank the page according to searches. Search Engine Optimization is another term for this optimizing the SEO rank of the content.
We can see that a few keywords have been provided in the example above, which will aid the web browser in ranking the web page.
2. Automatic Refresh: A specified time will be mentioned in the meta tag after which the webpage will be automatically refreshed.
Output: As you can observe in the above example the web page will be reloaded after 8 seconds as mentioned in the <meta> tag.
3. Specifying Author of the Webpage: MetaTag allows us to mention the name of the author of the webpage as follows.
Output: In this example, the name of the author is specified in the <meta> tag
4. Providing a Description of the web page: A brief description of the web page can be included in the Meta tag, which will help the web page rank on the internet.
Output: In the this example, a small description of the web page is given in the <meta> tag.