DRAM Full Form
DRAM stands for Dynamic Random Access Memory A type of random access memory that stores each bit(0 or 1) of data in a memory cell, these memory cells consist of two devices, a tiny capacitor, and a transistor, both are based on (MOS) technology.
The word “Dynamic” used because DRAM changes its state from 0 to 1 over a period of time, due to the slow leakage of charge from the capacitor. To prevent this, DRAM requires an external memory refresh, which rewrites the data int the capacitors, restoring them to their original charge. DRAM typically consist of dozens to billions of DRAM memory cells.
Characteristics of DRAM
- It has short data lifetime.
- It is less expensive.
- It is smaller in size.
- It is slower as compared to SRAM.
- less power consumption.
Advantage of DRAM
- DRAM memory can be deleted and refreshed while running the program.
- It is Cheaper as compare to SRAM.
- It has higher storage capacity. Hence it is used to create larger RAM space system.
- It is simple in structure than SRAM.
Disadvantage of DRAM
- It is comparatively slower than SRAM. Hence it takes more time for accessing data or information.
- It loses data when power is OFF.
- It has higher power consumption compare to SRAM