Both Go-Back-N Protocol and Selective Repeat Protocol are the types of sliding window protocols.
The main difference between these two protocols is that after finding the suspect or damage in sent frames go-back-n protocol re-transmits all the frames whereas selective repeat protocol re-transmits only that frame which is damaged.
Now, we shall see the difference between them:
|S.NO||Go-Back-N Protocol||Selective Repeat Protocol|
|1.||In Go-Back-N Protocol, if the sent frame are find suspected then all the frames are re-transmitted from the last packet.||In selective Repeat protocol, only those frames are re-transmitted which are find suspected.|
|2.||Sender window size of Go-Back-N Protocol is N.||Sender window size of selective Repeat protocol is also N.|
|3.||Receiver window size of Go-Back-N Protocol is 1.||Receiver window size of selective Repeat protocol is N.|
|4.||Go-Back-N Protocol is less complex.||Selective Repeat protocol is more complex.|
|5.||In Go-Back-N Protocol, neither sender nor at receiver need sorting.||In selective Repeat protocol, receiver side needs sorting to sort the frames.|
|6.||Efficiency of Go-Back-N Protocol is
|Efficiency of selective Repeat protocol is also
|7.||In Go-Back-N Protocol, type of Acknowledgement is cumulative.||In selective Repeat protocol, type of Acknowledgement is individual.|
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
- Sliding Window Protocol | Set 3 (Selective Repeat)
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Difference between Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- Difference between File Transfer Protocol (FTP) and Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
- Difference between Stateless and Stateful Protocol
- DBMS | Concurrency Control Protocol | Graph Based Protocol
- Difference Between High-level Data Link Control (HDLC) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)
- Routing Interface Protocol (RIP) V1 & V2
- VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP)
- Internet Protocol v6 | IPv6
- Validation Based Protocol in DBMS
- Secure Electronic Transaction (SET) Protocol
- Computer Network | Dynamic Trunking Protocol (DTP)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.