Classful Routing does not import subnet mask. And in this also subnet mask is provided after the route update. In classful routing, subnet mask is same throughout, does not vary for all devices, we can see it in the given picture. In classful routing, VLMS (Variable Length Subnet Mask) is not supported and also CIDR (Classless Inter-Domain Routing).
Classless Routing imports subnet mask and in this, triggered updates are used. In classless routing, VLMS (Variable Length Subnet Mask) is supported and also CIDR (Classless Inter-Domain Routing). In classless routing, hello messages are used for checking status. In classless routing, subnet mask is not same throughout, it may vary for all devices, we can see it in the given picture.
Let’s see that the difference between classful routing and classless routing:
|S.NO||Classful Routing||Classless Routing|
|1.||In classful routing, VLMS(Variable Length Subnet Mask) is not supported.||While in classless routing, VLMS(Variable Length Subnet Mask) is supported.|
|2.||Classful routing requires more bandwidth.||While it requires less bandwidth.|
|3.||In classful routing, hello messages are not used.||While in classless routing, hello messages are used.|
|4.||Classful routing does not import subnet mask.||Whereas it imports subnet mask.|
|5.||In classful routing, address is divided into three parts which are: Network, Subnet and Host.||While in classless routing, address is divided into two parts which are: Subnet and Host.|
|6.||In classful routing, regular or periodic updates are used.||Whereas in this, triggered updates are used.|
|7.||In classful routing, CIDR(Classless Inter-Domain Routing) is not supported.||While in classless routing, CIDR(Classless Inter-Domain Routing) is supported.|
|8.||In classful routing, subnets are not displayed in other major subnet.||While in classless routing, subnets are displayed in other major subnet..|
|9.||In classful routing, fault can be detected easily.||While in classless routing, fault detection is little tough.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Classful Vs Classless Addressing
- Classless Inter Domain Routing (CIDR)
- Difference between Distance vector routing and Link State routing
- IP Addressing | Classless Addressing
- IPv4 Classless Subnet equation
- Introduction of Classful IP Addressing
- Unicast Routing - Link State Routing
- Difference between Adaptive and Non-Adaptive Routing algorithms
- Difference between Transparent Bridge and Source Routing Bridge
- Difference between Static and Dynamic Routing
- Difference between Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) and Routing Information Protocol (RIP)
- Difference between Hierarchical and Flat routing protocol
- Differences between Intradomain and Interdomain Routing
- Route Poisoning and Count to infinity problem in Routing
- Fixed and Flooding Routing algorithms
- Network Layer Services- Packetizing, Routing and Forwarding
- Trust Based Energy-Efficient and Secure Routing Protocols for IoT
- Onion Routing
- Routing v/s Routed Protocols in Computer Network
- Distance Vector Routing (DVR) Protocol
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.