Given the value of ‘N’ and ‘I’. Here, represents the number of internal nodes present in an N-ary tree and every node of the N-ary can either have childs or zero child. The task is to determine the number of Leaf nodes in n-ary tree.
Input : N = 3, I = 5
Output : Leaf nodes = 11
Input : N = 10, I = 10
Output : leaf nodes = 91
I = Number of Internal nodes.
L = Leaf Nodes.
and, N = Number of children each node can have.
Derivation: The tree is an N-ary tree. Assume it has T total nodes, which is the sum of internal nodes (I) and leaf nodes (L). A tree with T total nodes will have (T – 1) edges or branches.
In other words, since the tree is an N-ary tree, each internal node will have N branches contributing a total of N*I internal branches. Therefore we have the following relations from the above explanations,
- N * I = T – 1
- L + I = T
From the above two equations, we can say that L = (N – 1) * I + 1.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
# Python3 program to find number
# of leaf nodes
# Function to calculate
# leaf nodes in n-ary tree
def calcNodes(N, I):
result = 0
result = I * (N – 1) + 1
# Driver Code
if __name__ == ‘__main__’:
N = 5
I = 2
print(“Leaf nodes = “,
# This code is contributed
# by SHUBHAMSINGH10
Leaf nodes = 9
- Count Non-Leaf nodes in a Binary Tree
- Program to count leaf nodes in a binary tree
- Iterative program to count leaf nodes in a Binary Tree
- Sum of all leaf nodes of binary tree
- Product of all leaf nodes of binary tree
- Print Sum and Product of all Non-Leaf nodes in Binary Tree
- Number of leaf nodes in the subtree of every node of an n-ary tree
- Print the nodes of binary tree as they become the leaf node
- Pairwise Swap leaf nodes in a binary tree
- Print all leaf nodes of a Binary Tree from left to right
- Leaf nodes from Preorder of a Binary Search Tree (Using Recursion)
- Print All Leaf Nodes of a Binary Tree from left to right | Set-2 ( Iterative Approach )
- Find height of a special binary tree whose leaf nodes are connected
- Print the longest leaf to leaf path in a Binary tree
- Count the number of nodes at given level in a tree using BFS.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.