Given the value of ‘N’ and ‘I’. Here, represents the number of internal nodes present in an N-ary tree and every node of the N-ary can either have childs or zero child. The task is to determine the number of Leaf nodes in n-ary tree.
Input : N = 3, I = 5
Output : Leaf nodes = 11
Input : N = 10, I = 10
Output : leaf nodes = 91
I = Number of Internal nodes.
L = Leaf Nodes.
and, N = Number of children each node can have.
Derivation: The tree is an N-ary tree. Assume it has T total nodes, which is the sum of internal nodes (I) and leaf nodes (L). A tree with T total nodes will have (T – 1) edges or branches.
In other words, since the tree is an N-ary tree, each internal node will have N branches contributing a total of N*I internal branches. Therefore we have the following relations from the above explanations,
- N * I = T – 1
- L + I = T
From the above two equations, we can say that L = (N – 1) * I + 1.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Leaf nodes = 9
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Print the longest leaf to leaf path in a Binary tree
- Construct XOR tree by Given leaf nodes of Perfect Binary Tree
- Remove all leaf nodes from a Generic Tree or N-ary Tree
- Program to count leaf nodes in a binary tree
- Iterative program to count leaf nodes in a Binary Tree
- Count Non-Leaf nodes in a Binary Tree
- Count of leaf nodes of the tree whose weighted string is a palindrome
- Count pairs of leaf nodes in a Binary Tree which are at most K distance apart
- Count the nodes of the tree which make a pangram when concatenated with the sub-tree nodes
- Find height of a special binary tree whose leaf nodes are connected
- Sum of all leaf nodes of binary tree
- Print all leaf nodes of a Binary Tree from left to right
- Pairwise Swap leaf nodes in a binary tree
- Leaf nodes from Preorder of a Binary Search Tree (Using Recursion)
- Product of all leaf nodes of binary tree
- Print Sum and Product of all Non-Leaf nodes in Binary Tree
- Number of leaf nodes in the subtree of every node of an n-ary tree
- Print the nodes of binary tree as they become the leaf node
- Print All Leaf Nodes of a Binary Tree from left to right | Set-2 ( Iterative Approach )
- Print leaf nodes in binary tree from left to right using one stack
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.