Every software development process follows the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) for the development and delivery of a good quality software product. In the testing phase of software development, different types of software testing are performed to check different check parameters or test cases. Where in each software data is an important part as with the help of data a software application performs its operations. Testing allows us to make data actionable. It is a great way to improve without getting caught up in different reports and issues for doing the previous jobs. So, to check the data integrity of the software application data integrity testing is performed. In this article, we will explore data integrity testing.
So before exploring the concept of data integrity testing, let’s first know what is data integrity. This data Integrity refers to the reliability and trustworthiness of data through its life cycle that is stored in the Database. Now let’s know about data integrity testing.
Data Integrity Testing :
- It is a process in which data is verified in the database whether it is accurate and functions as per requirements. Also used to validate whether data is not modified, or corrupted unexpectedly while accessing the Database.
- Tests are done regularly to ensure stored data is unchanged and to search for new bugs that may alter the files present in the Database.
Characteristics of Data Integrating Testing :
- Data compatibility with the older versions of the OS is ensured.
- It checks while verifying whether data in data tables, is altered or not.
- It examines all data and whether it is successfully saved to the Database or not.
- It also includes running tests of all data files which includes clip art, templates, etc.
- Also helps in analyzing blank values or default values whether they can be retrieved from the Database or not.
Why Database & Database Testing is required?
- To check whether the map is connected between the front end and back end i.e. Database such that all functionality is done in the front end is reflected in the back end and vice versa.
- To verify the ACID (Accuracy, Consistency, Integrity, Durability) property of the Database.
- As in constant increase in the size of data, the complexity of the Database increases which evokes relational constraints. So it is recommended to ensure flawless Database Operation.
- We can ensure data integrity such that changes that occur afar CRUD operation should be reflected correctly whenever data is stored in any form.
How to test Data Integrity :
Data integrity can be examined using the following tests
- Check whether you can add, delete, or modify any data in tables.
- Check whether a blank or default value can be retrieved from the Database.
- Verify that radio buttons show the right set of values.
- Check when a set of data is saved successfully in the Database, the truncation must not occur.
- Check the compatibility of different versions of OS, old hardware, and interfaces with other software.
- Check whether the default value is assigned when user input is not given.
Types of Data Integrity Test :
There are three types of data integrity test
- Entity Integrity –
It examines that each row of a table consists of a non-null primary key where each should be specific. The test may be attained by defining duplicate or null values in test data.
- Domain Integrity –
It checks each set of data values. Column falls within a specific permissible range. Testing may be achieved using null, default, and invalid values.
- Referential Integrity –
It checks the relationship between a foreign key and the primary key of multiple tables. This test is achieved by eliminating parent or child rows in a table.
Verification of Data Integrity in ETC Process, Schemas & BI Report :
1. Verification of source & target data Requirements and Schema execution –
The requirement and schema level test validate what range of the data components matches with business requirements. This process can verify-
- Data models for the implemented data schema.
- Technical requirement for every source’s data and its mapping.
Schemas of all data storage utilized in the Database contain data sourcing. Staging and data marts are essential to examine schema quality, i.e. the ability of a schema to efficiently project information.
2. ETC Source and Data Integrating Test –
This test is used to examine most of the tests and evaluate most Data Integrity. It focuses on-
- Check foreign & primary key integrity.
- Checks test the correctness of data transformation.
- Also used to verify all valid & invalid conditions then subsequently we proceed to source and target data.
A properly designed ETC system extracts data from sources, examines, confirms data, and finally delivers data in a format that enables the developer to build the application.
3. BI Reporting Verification –
They provide an interface that enables interaction with users and the backend. Insights like what context uses which information map, and where interaction exists them is required to create a full suite of test cases. If any measures are defined in a report, then they should be verified as accurate.