Given a positive integer, write a function to find if it is a power of two or not.
Input : n = 4 Output : Yes 22 = 4 Input : n = 7 Output : No Input : n = 32 Output : Yes 25 = 32
1. A simple method for this is to simply take the log of the number on base 2 and if you get an integer then number is power of 2.
2. Another solution is to keep dividing the number by two, i.e, do n = n/2 iteratively. In any iteration, if n%2 becomes non-zero and n is not 1 then n is not a power of 2. If n becomes 1 then it is a power of 2.
3. All power of two numbers have only one bit set. So count the no. of set bits and if you get 1 then number is a power of 2. Please see Count set bits in an integer for counting set bits.
4. If we subtract a power of 2 numbers by 1 then all unset bits after the only set bit become set; and the set bit become unset.
For example for 4 ( 100) and 16(10000), we get following after subtracting 1
3 –> 011
15 –> 01111
So, if a number n is a power of 2 then bitwise & of n and n-1 will be zero. We can say n is a power of 2 or not based on value of n&(n-1). The expression n&(n-1) will not work when n is 0. To handle this case also, our expression will become n& (!n&(n-1)) (thanks to https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/program-to-find-whether-a-no-is-power-of-two/Mohammad for adding this case).
Below is the implementation of this method.
Please refer complete article on Program to find whether a no is power of two for more details!
- C# Program to Find the closest pair from two sorted arrays
- C# Program for Median of two sorted arrays of same size
- C# Program to Find the Number Occurring Odd Number of Times
- Program to find absolute value of a given number
- C# Program for Naive algorithm for Pattern Searching
- C# Program for KMP Algorithm for Pattern Searching
- C# Program to print all permutations of a given string
- C# Program for Count Inversions in an array | Set 1 (Using Merge Sort)
- C# Program for Activity Selection Problem | Greedy Algo-1
- C# Program for Subset Sum Problem | DP-25
- C# Program for Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm | Greedy Algo-7
- C# Program for Maximum sum rectangle in a 2D matrix | DP-27
- C# Program for Largest Sum Contiguous Subarray
- C# Program for Maximum size square sub-matrix with all 1s
- C# Program for Minimum number of jumps to reach end
- C# Program for Cutting a Rod | DP-13
- C# Program for Longest Palindromic Subsequence | DP-12
- C# Program for Egg Dropping Puzzle | DP-11
- C# Program for Matrix Chain Multiplication | DP-8
- C# Program for Count set bits in an integer