Not only real numbers, Python can also handle complex numbers and its associated functions using the file “cmath”. Complex numbers have their uses in many applications related to mathematics and python provides useful tools to handle and manipulate them.
Converting real numbers to complex number
An complex number is represented by “ x + yi “. Python converts the real numbers x and y into complex using the function complex(x,y). The real part can be accessed using the function real() and imaginary part can be represented by imag().
The real part of complex number is : 5.0 The imaginary part of complex number is : 3.0
Phase of complex number
Geometrically, the phase of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing complex number. This is also known as argument of complex number. Phase is returned using phase(), which takes complex number as argument. The range of phase lies from -pi to +pi. i.e from -3.14 to +3.14.
The phase of complex number is : 3.141592653589793
Converting from polar to rectangular form and vice versa
Conversion to polar is done using polar(), which returns a pair(r,ph) denoting the modulus r and phase angle ph. modulus can be displayed using abs() and phase using phase().
A complex number converts into rectangular coordinates by using rect(r, ph), where r is modulus and ph is phase angle. It returns a value numerically equal to r * (math.cos(ph) + math.sin(ph)*1j)
The modulus and argument of polar complex number is : (1.4142135623730951, 0.7853981633974483) The rectangular form of complex number is : (1.0000000000000002+1j)
This article is contributed by Manjeet Singh. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Complex Numbers in Python | Set 2 (Important Functions and Constants)
- Complex Numbers in Python | Set 3 (Trigonometric and Hyperbolic Functions)
- Python program for addition and subtraction of complex numbers
- Multiply matrices of complex numbers using NumPy in Python
- Python Program to convert complex numbers to Polar coordinates
- Extracting the real and imaginary parts of an NumPy array of complex numbers
- NetworkX : Python software package for study of complex networks
- Serialize and Deserialize complex JSON in Python
- Selecting with complex criteria using query method in Pandas
- Function Decorators in Python | Set 1 (Introduction)
- NumPy in Python | Set 1 (Introduction)
- Multiprocessing in Python | Set 1 (Introduction)
- Array in Python | Set 1 (Introduction and Functions)
- Django Introduction | Set 2 (Creating a Project)
- Bloom Filters - Introduction and Python Implementation
- Python Language Introduction
- Python Virtual Environment | Introduction
- Introduction to Kivy ; A Cross-platform Python Framework
- Python | Introduction to Matplotlib
- Introduction to Convolutions using Python