Given three strings A, B and C. Write a function that checks whether C is an interleaving of A and B.
C is said to be interleaving A and B, if it contains all characters of A and B and order of all characters in individual strings is preserved. See previous post for examples.
Pick each character of C one by one and match it with the first character in A. If it doesn’t match then match it with first character of B. If it doesn’t even match first character of B, then return false. If the character matches with first character of A, then repeat the above process from second character of C, second character of A and first character of B. If first character of C matches with the first character of B (and doesn’t match the first character of A), then repeat the above process from the second character of C, first character of A and second character of B. If all characters of C match either with a character of A or a character of B and length of C is sum of lengths of A and B, then C is an interleaving A and B.
ACBG is not interleaved of AB and CD
Time Complexity: O(m+n) where m and n are the lengths of strings A and B respectively.
Note that the above approach doesn’t work if A and B have some characters in common. For example, if string A = “AAB”, string B = “AAC” and string C = “AACAAB”, then the above method will return false. We have discussed here an extended solution that handles common characters.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Return maximum occurring character in an input string
- Print all the duplicates in the input string
- Remove characters from the first string which are present in the second string
- Remove duplicates from a given string
- A Program to check if strings are rotations of each other or not
- Print reverse of a string using recursion
- Write a program to print all permutations of a given string
- Divide a string in N equal parts
- Given a string, find its first non-repeating character
- Write a program to reverse an array or string
- Check for balanced parentheses in an expression
- Reverse words in a given string
- Find the smallest window in a string containing all characters of another string
- Check whether two strings are anagram of each other
- Print all interleavings of given two strings