Given two coordinates of a line as (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), find if the line passing through these points also passes through origin or not.
Input : (x1, y1) = (10, 0) (x2, y2) = (20, 0) Output : Yes The line passing through these points clearly passes through the origin as the line is x axis. Input : (x1, y1) = (1, 28) (x2, y2) = (2, 56) Output : Yes
Approach: Equation of a line passing through two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) is given by
y-y1 = ((y2-y1) / (x2-x1))(x-x1) + c
If line is also passing through origin, then c=0, so equation of line becomes
y-y1 = ((y2-y1) / (x2-x1))(x-x1)
Keeping x=0, y=0 in the above equation we get,
x1(y2-y1) = y1(x2-x1)
So above equation must be satisfied if any line passing through two coordinates (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) also passes through origin (0, 0).
- Length of the normal from origin on a straight line whose intercepts are given
- Check whether the point (x, y) lies on a given line
- Check whether two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) lie on same side of a given line or not
- How to check if two given line segments intersect?
- Check if a line touches or intersects a circle
- Check if it is possible to draw a straight line with the given direction cosines
- Check if a line at 45 degree can divide the plane into two equal weight parts
- Program to calculate area of inner circle which passes through center of outer circle and touches its circumference
- Find K Closest Points to the Origin
- Lexicographically Kth smallest way to reach given coordinate from origin
- Find the maximum possible distance from origin using given points
- Number of jump required of given length to reach a point of form (d, 0) from origin in 2D plane
- Slope of the line parallel to the line with the given slope
- Slope of perpendicular to line
- Find the other end point of a line with given one end and mid
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : jit_t