This app helps in reminding birthdays and notifying you friend’s birthdays. This app uses Python and Ubuntu notifications to notify users on every startup of the system.
Adding the script to Startup
After writing the above code now it is the time to add this Python script to startup. This can be done in Ubuntu as follows:
- Firstly, we have to create an executable file for our reminder.py script
- This can be done by typing the following command in the terminal
sudo chmod +x reminder.py, where reminder.py is our script file name
- Now we have to transfer this file to the path where Linux searches for its default files:
Type this command in terminal:
sudo cp /path/to/our/reminder.py /usr/bin
. This will add our executable script to /usr/bin.
- In global search, search for Startup Applications
- Click on Add and Give a desired Name for your process
- Type in the command. For example, our file name is reminder.py then type reminder.py in the command field and Select Add
NOTE: The script runs automatically(once added to startup) everytime you start your system. Also, If you have more than two birthdays on the same day, both the birthdays will be notified in the notification.
How the birthday file should look like
Output after running the script
This article is contributed by Omkar Pathak. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Python | Automating Happy Birthday post on Facebook using Selenium
- isprintable() in Python and its application
- divmod() in Python and its application
- Python String isnumeric() and its application
- Python String isalpha() and its application
- Python String isspace() and its application
- Python String isdigit() and its application
- Is your Web Application Secure Enough? Think Again
- Python3 for GUI application | An Overview
- Components of an Android Application
- Flask - (Creating first simple application)
- A Group chat application in Java
- The Application Manifest File | Android
- Full screen OpenCV / GtK application in C++ running on Raspberry PI
- Getting Started with Cross-Platform Mobile Application using Flutter