What is a Flowchart?
Flowchart is a graphical representation of an algorithm. Programmers often use it as a program-planning tool to solve a problem. It makes use of symbols which are connected among them to indicate the flow of information and processing.
The process of drawing a flowchart for an algorithm is known as “flowcharting”.
Basic Symbols used in Flowchart Designs
- Terminal: The oval symbol indicates Start, Stop and Halt in a program’s logic flow. A pause/halt is generally used in a program logic under some error conditions. Terminal is the first and last symbols in the flowchart.
- Input/Output: A parallelogram denotes any function of input/output type. Program instructions that take input from input devices and display output on output devices are indicated with parallelogram in a flowchart.
- Processing: A box represents arithmetic instructions. All arithmetic processes such as adding, subtracting, multiplication and division are indicated by action or process symbol.
- Decision Diamond symbol represents a decision point. Decision based operations such as yes/no question or true/false are indicated by diamond in flowchart.
- Connectors: Whenever flowchart becomes complex or it spreads over more than one page, it is useful to use connectors to avoid any confusions. It is represented by a circle.
- Flow lines: Flow lines indicate the exact sequence in which instructions are executed. Arrows represent the direction of flow of control and relationship among different symbols of flowchart.
Advantages of Flowchart:
- Flowcharts are better way of communicating the logic of system.
- Flowcharts act as a guide for blueprint during program designed.
- Flowcharts helps in debugging process.
- With the help of flowcharts programs can be easily analyzed.
- It provides better documentation.
- Flowcharts serve as a good proper documentation.
Disadvantages of Flowchart:
- It is difficult to draw flowchart for large and complex programs.
- In this their is no standard to determine the amount of detail.
- Difficult to reproduce the flowcharts.
- It is very difficult to modify the Flowchart.
Example : Draw a flowchart to input two numbers from user and display the largest of two numbers
Enter two numbers: 10 30 30
Computer Fundamentals by Pradeep K. Sinha and Priti Sinha