Array in Python | Set 1 (Introduction and Functions)
Other than some generic containers like list, Python in its definition can also handle containers with specified data types. The array can be handled in python by a module named “array“. They can be useful when we have to manipulate only a specific data type values.
Operations on Array :
1. array(data type, value list):- This function is used to create an array with data type and value list specified in its arguments. Some data types are mentioned in the table below.
Type Code C Type Python Type Minimum size in Bytes ‘b’ signed char int 1 ‘B’ unsigned char int 1 ‘u’ Py_UNICODE unicode character 2 ‘h’ signed short int 2 ‘H’ unsigned short int 2 ‘i’ signed int int 2 ‘I’ unsigned int int 2 ‘l’ signed long int 4 ‘L’ unsigned long int 4 ‘q’ signed long long int 8 ‘Q’ unsigned long long int 8 ‘f’ float float 4 ‘d’ double float 8
2. append():- This function is used to add the value mentioned in its arguments at the end of the array.
3. insert(i,x) :- This function is used to add the value(x) at the ith position specified in its argument.
The new created array is : 1 2 3 The appended array is : 1 2 3 4 The array after insertion is : 1 2 5 3 4
4. pop():- This function removes the element at the position mentioned in its argument and returns it.
5. remove():- This function is used to remove the first occurrence of the value mentioned in its arguments.
The new created array is : 1 2 3 1 5 The popped element is : 3 The array after popping is : 1 2 1 5 The array after removing is : 2 1 5
6. index() :- This function returns the index of the first occurrence of value mentioned in arguments.
7. reverse() :- This function reverses the array.
The new created array is : 1 2 3 1 2 5 The index of 1st occurrence of 2 is : 1 The array after reversing is : 5 2 1 3 2 1
This article is contributed by Manjeet Singh. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using write.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level Course